Top 10 Tony Iommi Guitar Solos

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
83296487.jpg

SOURCE LINK AND LIST

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi is arguably the most important player in the history of heavy metal. His awesomely heavy riffs served as the basic blueprint for subsequent bands, and of course, Sabbath’s dark imagery and presentation presaged basically every other metal act.

Iommi’s importance as a riff-maker often overshadows his impact as a lead guitarist. The musician lost the tips of the middle and ring fingers of his right hand — his fretting hand — in an accident at a sheet metal factory when he was just 17 and had to learn to compensate by extending those fingers with thimbles that he developed himself. His playing is based in the blues, and much of what makes Iommi’s playing so special is how he integrated his love of basic blues forms with an inimitable sense of tone and phrasing — as you’ll see in our list of the Top 10 Tony Iommi Guitar Solos.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Iommi solos that blow me away. I never really thought he was that great of a soloist, kinda all over the place and messy. He's more of a riff-master, coming up with some of the greatest heavy metal riffs in rock history.

Johnnycanuck

Reaction score
Well the solos on A Bit of Finger-Sleeping Village-Warning are great!

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Tony does a bluesy thing at the beginning of this song and also towards the end.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I agree that Tony is up there with the most important guitar players in the heavy metal/hard rock genre and both his riffs and his solos certainly work for me. I don't think I agree with those being his top ten mind but each to his own.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online