Tommy Bolin

JBellRules

Reaction score
= Superior.

Has anybody heard him? Or heard of him? He played with The James Gang and Deep Purple (replaced Ritchie Blackmore) for one album, but I mostly know his solo stuff. He only lived to 25 (drug overdose). It's a shame, cause he had so much comming for him.

He's a great guitarist. He's got a nice jazzy-rock-bluesy sound.

Big Generator

Reaction score
I think maybe Bolin's reputation suffered slightly because of the direction Purple were taking in '76....soft, commercial etc....whereas at the same time Blackmore was being most heavy on "Stargazer" etc with Dio....

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I thought Bolin and Coverdale sounded good together in Purple....I listened to a bootleg of their last concert in Japan....pretty hot, actually.....Tracks from "Come Taste The Band "sounded great, hopefully I still have the bootleg on cassette somewhere around.
Bolin sang a solo song of his at that concert which sounded quite folky compared to the Purple songs but was a cool "interlude".
It was a tragic waste that Tommy died so early, drug use still claims a lot of casualities in rock and otherwise still, sadly.

Sandrix20

Reaction score
Bolin was a monster talent! Definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all the other guitar gods of the era. Check out Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" and Alfonse Mouzon's "Mind Transplant" for a taste of his fusion work.

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
oh course! I loved his solo work too, like Post Toastee and Bustin Out For Rosey.

squeedle53

Chunkadelic!
Reaction score
Tommy started out in an outfit called Zephyr before putting out the solo albums and subsequently joining the Purple. He was a well rounded talent who could rock with the best and jazz wiith the coolest. What a waste!

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
I`m a big Bolin fan.....I have James Gang Bang and Miami and His Teaser and Private Eyes albums!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online