Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (1985)

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (1985)
rain-dogs.jpg
Producer: Tom Waits
Label: Island Records
Length: 53:46

Prologue: Rain Dogs was Waits' 9th studio album. His 1983 album Swordfishtrombones introduced us to Tom's new, abstract style of music and Rain Dogs pretty much continues where that album left off. It only reached #188 on Billboard at the time but it left quite an impact, appearing on multiple best album lists over the years. It is also considered one of Tom's best albums. Rod Stewart's cover version of Downtown Train became a big hit in 1989.

The Tunes: Waits made a name for himself in the early 70's for his piano-jazz sound, and dark, storytelling lyrics. He virtually abandoned the piano by this point, but the dark abstract lyrics are still here. Like Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs has a variety of music styles, blues rock, soft ballads, polka, country music, the list goes on.

My favorite song on the album has to be Downtown Train, a beautiful pop song and a return to Waits' old style. Hang Down Your Head, like Downtown Train, but more bluesy. But this album isn't just about the ballads, Big Black Mariah, Union Square, and Walking Spanish make up the blues rock/bar rock sound of the album. Singapore and Clap Hands, highlight Waits' new theatrical/cabaret style, these are the most abstract/strange songs on the album.

Thoughts: It took awhile for Rain Dogs to grow on me, mainly due to Tom Waits' raspy/bluesy vocals, but overtime I really grew to appreciate this album. If you're a fan of jazz/blues then I think you should give this album a try. Some people might be turned off by the theatrics and abstract music style that this album has.

If you're new to Tom Waits, I recommend that you start with his debut, Closing Time (1973). Tom Waits was drinking heavily in the mid to late 70's and that really had an effect on his vocals. Waits' vocals aren't as edgy and bluesy as they would be with his later albums, and Closing Time is also a softer album.

Favorite Tunes: Downtown Train, Hang Down Your Head, Time, Singapore, Big Black Mariah, Blind Love, Anywhere I Lay My Head

My Verdict: 4.8/5

Last edited:

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Re: My Album Review Thread

I wanted to post some youtube links for Downtown Train (Waits/Rod Stewart) but I'm a noob and I can't figure this out. :tongue:

Reaction score

Not exactly a Tom Waits fan, but the review looks great!:grinthumb

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score

I was going to post a link to one of Waits' best songs "Ol'55" from his debut album but the only ones I can find are recent live ones and cover versions.

I know The Eagles covered that song but I've never listened to that version.

I didn't really understand why Waits' got so much praise when I started with Rain Dogs, but I tried Closing Time and it blew me away. Now I'm going through his discography.

Reaction score

I know the Eagles version:heheh:
I never knew Waits wrote that, but that's cool to know

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online