Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Mojo (2010)

Reaction score
1363259.gif

Mojo is the first Heartbreakers studio album in 8 years, it has a very similar feel to the Mudcrutch album released by Petty and two other Heartbreakers.. Benmont and Campbell.. It was recorded live in the studio.. with minimal overdubs.. the only over dubs done were to touch up the guitar and vocals a bit.. This is by far the bluesiest Heartbreakers' record, It features a much more mature sound IMO, than the previous albums.. Mojo really shows the major reason why I LOVE TP+HB.. they have the ability to evolve but still keep their core sound, that makes them very unique.. they've been together almost 40 years, and they can still come up with something that no one has ever heard before. You can hear the influences, but it stops at the influence they didn't rip off anyone.. it is their completely original sound.. Mojo was also at the #2 spot in the US yesterday:D:grinthumb

My favorite song from the album is Something Good Coming.. it's a very laid back track, but it has a lot of energy behind it..

My second favorite is "I Should Have Known It." I started out not liking this song very much, but after 2, maybe three, spins of the CD, I love it.... This one increases my speed at least 5-10MPH.. not sure if that's a good thing, but the song is incredible.. This is rock n roll.. of all the songs that could define rock n roll.. This is the epitome of it.. It's not bland or general in doing so either.. it doesn't take those stereotypical licks or a boring sound.. it just rocks.. hard:heheh:

I'll let you find the rest of the album for yourselves, but over all.. it gets a 10/10 from me.. this is absolutely excellent!:tup:

Personnel -
Tom Petty - lead guitar, rhythm guitar, lead vocals
Mike Campbell - lead guitar
Benmont Tench - acoustic and electric pianos, organ
Ron Blair - bass guitar
Scott Thurston - rhythm guitar, harmonica
Steve Ferrone - drums, percussion

Track List -
1. "Jefferson Jericho Blues"
2. "First Flash of Freedom"
3. "Running Man's Bible"
4. "The Trip to Pirate's Cove"
5. "Candy"
6. "No Reason to Cry"
7. "I Should Have Known It"
8. "U.S. 41"
9. "Takin' My Time"
10. "Let Yourself Go"
11. "Don't Pull Me Over"
12. "Lover's Touch"
13. "High In the Morning"
14. "Something Good Coming"
15. "Good Enough"
16. "Little Girl Blues (Bonus Track)"

There was also a nice, short documentary made on the album as well:D

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Mojo

eberg!

Still soaking up ''Mojo''....can't get enough...but don't want to overplay it.

Album of the summer, no doubt...

I was kinda wrong....the album isn't all bluesy as I first expected it to be.Yes, a lot of cool blues rock tracks, but then there's some real new interesting stuff that Tom and the Heartbreakers are putting down. New territory. Evolving as eberg said.

Favorite songs so far, in no particular order....

The Trip To Pirate's Cove
Running Man's Bible
First Flash Of Freedom
No Reason To Cry
Something Good Coming
I Should Have Known It

I'll be back to this thread from time to time, and add new thoughts as I listen to MOJO more and more.

Lovin' it so far! :grinthumb

Reaction score

I'm doing the same, Groovy.. this is my week off from the album though, I started to overplay it a bit, if possible.. literally every time I was in the car:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I haven't listened to the new album yet. I need to though, the videos you posted are killer!

Nice review, Eberg :tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am almost tempted to pick that one up after reading your "Over the Moon" review EB...:D

I am guilty of that myself, not so much now but playing a new album a lot until it's etched into my memory permanently, which is a good thing.

Tom Petty is playing here again this summer...or he already did, I'll have to check to make sure, but he was really blown away by his reception here last year, and promised to come back.:tup:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online