Todd Rundgren & The New Cars

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Check out this live video of Todd Rundgren & The New Cars performing "Not Tonite" @ a Burbank rehearsal showcase last month.

http://a1503.v21424.c21424.g.vm.aka...mai.com/21424/tnc/012206_tnc_exp_05_b_700.wmv

No backing tracks or sequenced parts, the band performing in-tune back-up vocals without hired-hand chick singers...a interesting lead singer who doesn't skip half the words, ballsy drumming, some cool synth playing & a rocking guitar solo...that's music I'd pay to see.

In fact, I tried to buy tickets to the New Cars / Blondie Gibson Ampitheatre (Universal Studios) upcoming show, the very morning they were released, last week, but they were supposedly sold out (except for the Ticket Brokers with an endless supply marked up 4-5-6 + times the face value).

But I kept going back online...& this morning I scored 4 seats, directly thru Gibson / Ticketmaster, stage center Loge, just behind the sound board to the left, for $79.50 + srvc...$90 a pop. That is a reasonable price, to me, for a Saturday night in LA.

So...after watching the New Cars video above:

1. Are you interested in seeing & hearing more from Todd Rundgren & the New Cars?

2. How much is reasonable to pay for good seats @ a major venue for name acts in 2006?

TheNewCarsGroup.jpg

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
second question first. Unless somebody buys me tickets, or I'm buying tickets as a gift, I can't justify that kind of dough for a concert. I just can't wrap my mind around it. Even when I enjoy a show I can't, in all honesty say I would have gladly spent my own dough.

First question second. I like the song but it doesn't really sound like the Cars to me. Now, that's not really a bad thing because I'm a BIG Todd Rundgren fan. Unfortunately, it sounds like late period Utopia and that's my least favorite of his stuff.

now, I'm not complaining. You're right, those guys are pros, I'm sure they ALL know how to give good Arena. Todd can write catchy tunes and it DOES seem to sound enough like the Cars that "The New Cars" sounds pretty reasonable.

The best thing about this for me is that I'm listening to a LOT of Todd, I haven't in a while. He's got a mighty impressive body of work.

I'm glad to hear that show sold out. I heard they were having trouble selling tickets in a lot of areas, probably areas where you need a lot of GAS to go to an Arena show.

They seem to be enjoying themselves. I sure hope Car fans enjoy it. I'm a little skeptical. But HELL, Blondie and The Cars? It'll be a tuney evening, that's for sure!

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Ha!...good version
Todd is filling some BIG SHOES here for Okasek, but he carries it off quite well, and it's nice touch that he's playing rythym guitar.
I'd like to see these guys performing a BIGGER Cars Hit before I would go to their show, say like "Candy-O" , "My Best-Friend's Girlfriend", "Just What I Needed" or "Let's Go"....that would be cool and the confirmation I would truly need to buy tickets.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
luvitluvitluvit.

they're not coming anywhere near me, but i would find the money somewhere if they were.

runtfan

Reaction score
I saw them play "Not Tonight" on The Late Show with Craig Ferguson or whatever a few nights ago and I thought they sounded really good. And I've watched the video online a few times, so now I've got the song stuck in my head - catchy tune.

Obviously, Todd Rundgren's involved, so I'm happier than a pig in shit. I think the live show will be great and I'm kinda bumming that I'll be missing it ( I've got a gig the night they're in town). I'll definitely be looking forward to a DVD though.
I'm a Cars fan and , unlike most people I think, I wasn't really skeptical at all when I heard what the new lineup was gonna be. On paper anyway, I'd take this Cars lineup over the original anyday...and after hearing "Not Tonight" I'm convinced they've got the spirit and the sound of the old Cars.
I'm digging it and I hope they're successful with it.

And I think Ric Ocasek's gotta be pretty happy with it too, because these guys aren't gonna tarnish the reputation of the Cars, and, since Ocasek wrote most of the songs, he's gonna be in royalty heaven with any renewed interest in the Cars back catalog. And he didn't want to go out and tour anyway, so he's sitting pretty it would seem.

R.I.P Ben Orr

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I am curious to see/hear them. Just because I love Todd Rundgren and The Cars.

runtfan

Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
Ha!...good version
Todd is filling some BIG SHOES here for Okasek, but he carries it off quite well, and it's nice touch that he's playing rythym guitar.
I'd like to see these guys performing a BIGGER Cars Hit before I would go to their show, say like "Candy-O" , "My Best-Friend's Girlfriend", "Just What I Needed" or "Let's Go"....that would be cool and the confirmation I would truly need to buy tickets.

I daresay that Todd Rundgren's shoes are much, much bigger than Ric Ocasek's.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
runtfan said:
I daresay that Todd Rundgren's shoes are much, much bigger than Ric Ocasek's.

Agreed...Personally, I think it's rather humble of Todd choosing to work with a new version of the Cars. I'll be interested in hearing new material. I was never much of a Cars fan (although I thought "Drive" was a pop masterpiece), but I am a huge Rundgren fan.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Agreed...Personally, I think it's rather humble of Todd choosing to work with a new version of the Cars. I'll be interested in hearing new material. I was never much of a Cars fan (although I thought "Drive" was a pop masterpiece), but I am a huge Rundgren fan.

agreed part deux... altho i was a major fan of the cars's's first album, and bits and pieces after that.

i'm one of those gooey-eyed todd freaks who thinks he's an absolute genius. i've loved him since something/anything. i even broke my foot spazz-dancing to the song wolfman jack when i was a kid.

kath
..that's devotion, i tell ya.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online