Todd Rundgren (Official Thread)

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Rundgren Official Website

Todd is an incredibly diverse musician. going from excellent and trippy psychedelic rock to perfect melodic pop to incredibly wild and rigid prog. he's a master of all arts and has several amazing albums, imo. what do you guys think of him?

Discography

Runt (1970)
Runt. The Ballad of Todd Rundgren (1971)
Something/Anything? (1972)
A Wizard, a True Star (1973)
Todd (1974)
Initiation (1975)
Faithful (1976)
Hermit of Mink Hollow (1978)
Healing (1981)
The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect (1982)
A Cappella (1985)
Nearly Human (1989)
2nd Wind (1991)
No World Order (1993)
The Individualist (1995)
Up Against It (1997)
With a Twist... (1997)
One Long Year (2000)
Liars (2004)
Arena (2008)
Todd Rundgren's Johnson (2011)
(re)Production (2011)
State (2013)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Re: Todd Rundgren

I like the sappy pop better than his heavier rock n roll :blush:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

He's a very smart guy, but I never really got into his solo albums. One hell of a good producer though.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

I never really warmed up to Todd Rundgren, for some reason. I really liked "Hello It's Me" and "I Saw the Light". Other than that I didn't really get into him. Or, at least, I haven't yet. Hell, I haven't even really gotten into Nazz either.

He has my respect for producing Sparks' 7th album, "Introducing" and doing a hell of a good job doing it, though. I'd also like to note his work with putting together The New Cars with Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, and some other guy I can't remember the name of. I was kind of mortified by his renditions of Ric Ocasek's classic songs, but nonetheless I really like that he put that project together in hopes of maybe grabbing a little more attention to the band somehow.

Cool guy, that Todd.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I love his work with Meatloaf and Jim Steinman, the Bat Out Of Hell motorbike guitar solo is something special. However I don't have any of his solo work, so I can't comment on that! :D

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

what! are there no fans of Todd on this entire forum? oh man, this is not looking good

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Runtfan likes him but he's not here very often so maybe he missed this thread. I have said my piece, I think he is one of the smartest people in the music business, and an excellent producer, but when it comes to his solo work I'm just not a big fan Tattoo'd.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

Some of Todd's solo output is brilliant and some doesn't do much for me. I highly recommend a listen to the Nazz. Their two official albums are an excellent blend of late 60's rock, jazz and pop.

Any CRF/Todd fans who reside in the UK catch his show at the London Hammersmith Apollo on February 6th? He is performing the " A Wizard A True Star" album in it's entirety. That would be something to see.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

i love the Nazz. they're really different from a lot of the other bands you heard in the 60's

runtfan

Reaction score

i love the Nazz. they're really different from a lot of the other bands you heard in the 60's

Yeah, The Nazz was great especially considering the time they came out ( '68) and that all the band members were barely out of their teens. Todd Rundgren wrote almost all their songs and was already a great guitarist and arranger. He showed, early on, his gift for discovering,assimilating, and regurgitating the best of what his musical heroes had to offer. His obvious influences in the Nazz days were the writing styles of The Beatles, The Who, Cream, and Brian Wilson and the guitar playing of Clapton, Beck, and Hendrix.
The Nazz only had a lifespan of about a year and a half in which they recorded three albums worth of material, played a handful of gigs, and made the teeny bopper magazines...then Rundgren outgrew them.
Rundgren was clearly the leader, but the rest of the band were all excellent as well. Drummer Thom Mooney was cast from the Keith Moon/Mitch Mitchell mold and went on to do studio and touring work in the 70's. Carson Van Osten ( bass) went on, after The Nazz, to a career as a graphic artist. Robert "Stewkey" Antoni (lead vocals, keys) kept the band going for a couple more years. A later incarnation included a young Rick Nielsen and Tom Petersson ( later of Cheap Trick fame).
The Nazz is worth checking out for any fans of the 60's Brit and American pop and the blues rock of the time. They were one of the best of a second wave of power pop bands ( after the originators of the genre - The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, etc.).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online