This Day In Rock History

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: December 11th

1961 The Marvelettes went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Please Mr Postman'. The session musicians on the track included 22 year old Marvin Gaye on drums. The song gave The Carpenters a US No.1 and UK No.2 single in 1975.

1982 Singer, TV actress and dancer Toni Basil went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Mickey', making her a US One Hit Wonder. Also a No.2 hit in the UK, the song was written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn as 'Kitty', and was first recorded by UK group Racey during 1979.

source: thisdayinmusic

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: Dec 11th

1964, Soul singer Sam Cooke was shot dead at the Hacienda Motel in Los Angeles, California. Bertha Franklin, manager of the motel, told police that she shot and killed Cooke in self-defense because he had attacked her. Police found Cooke's body in Franklin's apartment-office, clad only in a sports jacket and shoes, but no shirt, pants or underwear. The shooting was ultimately ruled a justifiable homicide.

1973, KISS guitarist Ace Frehley was nearly electrocuted during a concert in Florida when he touched a short-circuited light. The guitarist was carried from the stage but returned 10 minutes later to finish the show.

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

2002 Musicologist and author Rob Durkee compiled a list of The Top Ten Christmas Songs Of All Time (according to sales and radio air play)

1. White Christmas - Bing Crosby - 1942
2. Silent Night - Bing Crosby - 1936
3. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Gene Autry - 1949
4. The Little Drummer Boy - Harry Simeone Chorale - 1958
5. Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms - 1957
6. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole - 1946
7. The Chipmunk Song - David Seville and the Chipmunks - 1958
8. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee - 1958
9. Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley - 1957
10. Jingle Bells - Bing Crosby / The Andrews Sisters - 1943

source: classicbands

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Big Mama Thornton was born today in 1926. She was the first to record Leiber and Stoller's "Hound Dog", in 1952, which became her biggest hit, staying seven weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard R&B chart in 1953 and selling almost two million copies. She also wrote and recorded the original version of "Ball 'n' Chain", and she has said, "My singing comes from my experience... My own experience. I never had no one teach me nothin'. I can't read music, but I know what I'm singing! I don't sing like nobody but myself." She died in 1984 at age 57 from a heart attack.

2012 Indian musician Ravi Shankar died after undergoing heart valve replacement surgery. He was one of the best-known proponents of the sitar and influenced many other musicians throughout the world. George Harrison, who was first introduced to Shankar's music by Roger McGuinn and David Crosby, became influenced by Shankar's music and went on to help popularize Shankar.

source: thecurrent

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Music History: Dec 11th

A few albums that was released....

1968 ● Blood, Sweat & Tears —— Blood, Sweat & Tears ► Jazz-Rock Fusion

1968 ● Deep Purple —— The Book Of Taliesyn ► Hard Rock

1972 ● The Rolling Stones —— More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) ► Hard Rock

1976 ● Paul McCartney & Wings —— Wings Over America ► Pop-Rock

1989 ● Monty Python —— Monty Python Sings ► Comedy

2007 ● Dave Matthews Band —— Live At Piedmont Park ► AA Pop-Rock

source: drrocksblog&roll

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: December 12th

1970 The Doors played what would be their last ever live show with Jim Morrison when they played at the Warehouse in New Orleans.

1985 Scottish keyboard player Ian Stewart died of a heart attack in his doctor's Harley Street waiting room. Co-founder of The Rolling Stones (Stewart was the first to respond to Brian Jones's advertisement in Jazz News seeking musicians to form a rhythm & blues group). Stewart was dismissed from the line-up by the band's manager, Andrew Loog Oldham, in May 1963 but remained as road manager and piano player. He played on all The Rolling Stones albums between 1964 and 1983. Also played piano on Led Zeppelin's ‘Rock and Roll’ and ‘Boogie With Stu’ from Physical Graffiti.

2007 Ike Turner, the former husband of Tina Turner died at the age of 76 at his home near San Diego, California. Turner who was a prolific session guitarist and piano player is credited by many music historians with making the first rock 'n' roll record in 1951. After marrying Tina Turner in 1959, the pair released a string of hits including the Phil Spector produced ‘River Deep Mountain High.’

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1940 Dionne Warwick is born Marie Dionne Warwick in East Orange, New Jersey.

1941 Terry Kirkman (of The Association) is born in Salina, Kansas.

1943 Dickey Betts (lead guitarist for The Allman Brothers Band) is born Forrest Richard Betts in West Palm Beach, Florida.

1947 Ralph Scala (keyboardist, vocalist for Blues Magoos) is born in The Bronx, New York.

source: calendarsongfacts

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Birthdays:

Rob Tyner-singer for MC5 born in 1944
Clive Bunker-drummer for Jethro Tull born in 1946
Bruce Kulick-guitarist for Kiss born in 1953

source: paulschaffersdayinrock

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Music History: December 12th

A few albums that was released....

1969 ● John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band —— Live Peace In Toronto ► Pop-Rock

1977 ● ABBA —— The Album ► Euro-Pop

1980 ● The Clash —— Sandinista! ► Punk

source: drrocksblog&roll

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: December 13th

1945 Robert Martinez (original drummer for ? & the Mysterians) is born. Like the rest of his bandmates, he was born in Texas, but raised in Michigan.

1948 David "Davy" O'List (of Roxy Music, The Nice) is born in Chiswick, West London, England.

1948 "Skunk" Baxter (guitarist for The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan) is born Jeffrey Allen Baxter in Washington, D.C.

1948 Ted Nugent is born Theodore Anthony Nugent in Detroit, Michigan.

2008 Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh marries Marjorie Bach, making him brother-in-law to Ringo Starr, who is married to Marjorie's sister Barbara.

source: calendarsongfacts

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online