This Day In Rock History

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 12th

1969 - Paul McCartney and Linda Eastman were married.

1974 - Nilsson and John Lennon were ejected from the Troubadour Club in Los Angeles for heckling the Tom Smothers' comedy act.

1991 - The R.E.M. album "Out of Time" was released.

1996 - KISS released the album "MTV Unplugged."

1998 - Korn served a cease-and-desist demand to a Michigan assistant principal, the high school and the school district who suspended a student for wearing a T-shirt that had the band's name on it.

source: onthisday

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Little Feat keyboardist Bill Payne enters the world.

Iron Maiden announces Trooper, a premium British beer. "I'm a lifelong fan of traditional English ale; I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when we were asked to create our own beer," says front man Bruce Dickenson of the handcrafted brew.

source: rockintown

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1941: Paul Kantner-guitarist for Jefferson Airplane was born.

1975: Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson married his longtime girlfriend Charlene. They are still married to this day.

1977: Steve Miller Band peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with the title track off of Fly Like an Eagle which was their third top ten single in the U.S.

1988: David Lee Roth peaked at number six on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with “Just Like Paradise” which was Roth’s second and final top ten single as a solo artist in the U.S.

source: paulshaffersdayinrock

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 13th

1961, The Temptations auditioned for Motown Records. They were then known as the Elgins but soon changed their name. Now having sold tens of millions of albums, the Temptations are one of the most successful groups in music history, known for their choreography, distinct harmonies, and flashy wardrobe, the group was highly influential in the evolution of R&B and soul music.

1965, Eric Clapton quit The Yardbirds due to musical differences with the other band members. Clapton wanted to continue in a blues type vein, while the rest of the band preferred the more commercial style of their first hit, 'For Your Love'.

1971, Brewer and Shipley entered the US singles chart with 'One Toke Over The Line'. The song, which featured The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia on steel guitar, peaked at No.10 despite being banned by radio stations for its drug references. Brewer and Shipley maintained that the word "toke" meant "token" as in ticket, hence the line "waitin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line."

source: thisdayinmusic

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1971: Creedence Clearwater Revival peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” which was their tenth top ten single in the U.S.

1976: Nazareth peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with their cover of “Love Hurts” which was their first and only top ten single in the U.S.

1996: Ramones fans rioted in Buenos Aires after they found out that they had waited all night to buy tickets for a concert that was already sold out.

Birthdays:
Adam Clayton-bassist for U2 born in 1960

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1965: "Eight Days A Week" (The Beatles) is the #1 song in the U.S.

2013: Original Iron Maiden drummer Clive Burr dies from health complications due to Multiple Sclerosis at age 56. Burr was the drummer on Maiden's first three albums, including their '82 commercial breakthrough "The Number Of The Beast."

2015: Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer is a keynote speaker at the New England Food Show in Boston. Kramer launched his own 100 percent USDA Organic Certified coffee line, Rockin' & Roastin', in '12.

source: rockintown

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 14th

1956: The movie “Rock Around the Clock” (with Bill Haley) made its premier in Washington, DC.

1965: Petula Clark made her American TV debut on CBS’ “Ed Sullivan Show.”

1981: Eric Clapton was admitted to United Hospital in St. Paul, MN, after a serious attack of bleeding ulcers. Clapton cancelled a 60-date tour of the U.S.

1995: Prince released the single “Purple Medley.”

source: noiseaddicts

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 14th

1964: The Beatles peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with “Please Please Me”. They were still at number one with “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and at number two with “She Loves You”.

1984: Rainbow performed their last concert for 11 years at Tokyo’s Budokan where they were accompanied by a Japanese symphony orchestra which included guitarist Ritchie Blackmore’s adaptation of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. Blackmore & bassist Roger Glover shortly re-joined Deep Purple for a reunion tour.

1986: Frank Zappa made a guest appearance on Miami Vice as drug dealer Mario Fuente.

2003: Robert Trujillo performed his last concert as Ozzy Osbourne’s bassist in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel, as Trujillo had accepted the bassist vacancy in Metallica. Sharon Osbourne was rushed to a hospital during the concert due to heat exhaustion.

Birthdays:
Jim Pons-bassist for The Turtles & The Mothers of Invention born in 1946

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 15th

1974: The Emerson, Lake and Palmer movie “Pictures at an Exhibition” premiered in Los Angeles, CA.

1976: “Destroyer” was released by KISS.

source: noiseaddicts

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Day In Rock History: March 15th

1969: Tommy Roe led both the Billboard Hot 100 and the Cash box Best Sellers list with "Dizzy", a record that would sell 6 million copies. His first chart topper was "Sheila" in 1962.

1969: Blood, Sweat And Tears' first hit, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", tops out at number two on the Billboard Pop chart. They would have two more second place finishes with "Spinning Wheel" and "And When I Die", but never enjoyed a number one record on the Hot 100.

1973: Elton John had the #1 album in the US with "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player", which contained two hit singles, "Crocodile Rock" and "Daniel". According to Philip Norman's 1990s authorized biography, Groucho Marx jokingly pointed his index fingers at Elton, as if holding a pair of six-shooters. John is reported to have put up his hands and said, "Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player", so naming the album.

1975: The Doobie Brothers have the first of their two Billboard #1 singles with "Black Water", a song that was issued as the "B" side of "Another Park, Another Sunday". Four years later, they would duplicate the feat with "What A Fool Believes".

source: classicbands

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online