The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground (1969)

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
The Velvet Underground's eponymous album shows a much more gentle side to the New York City rockers than their two previous albums. Right from the beginning with "Candy Says" the band introduces their softer sound and more melodic songs than would ever be found on White Light/White Heat. No song on this album has a freak out moment quite like the final minutes of "Heroin" nor does it have a track quite as experimental as "The Gift" or "Sister Ray."

But what this album does have is melody. Melody the likes of which were rarely found on previous albums in songs such as "Sunday Morning" and "Here She Comes Now." But here the songs are presented in an even cleaner and crisper form. Where a previous album would have a nice, subdued, melodic song clouded with a haze of fuzz throughout the track, the songs on The Velvet Underground are clean and polished. Songs like "Jesus" and "After Hours" are nice and smooth and are able to build upon the gentle sound that the band flirted with on their debut album.

The Avant Garde and experimental influence on the Velvet Underground is a lot less prominent in this album as well, most likely due to John Cale leaving the band. However their experimental sounds still pop up throughout the album but of nowhere near the magnitude of their first two albums. The most experimental track, "The Murder Mystery" doesn't come anywhere close to the odd sounding music of White Light/White Heat but is just as interesting and great as any song off that album. "The Murder Mystery" takes their experimental sound and subdues it to a more accessible sound like the rest of the album. With this, the Velvet Underground successfully found the balance of what they were looking for for nearly three years: the right balance of experimental and progressive music but put into an accessible and clean sound to cater to the masses. And although this album, like the rest of the Velvet Underground discography, wasn't very popular among the masses, it remains to show the level of perfect Lou Reed and Co. reached during the end of the 60's.

Track Listing

Side One
1. Candy Says
2. What Goes On *
3. Some Kinda Love
4. Pale Blue Eyes
5. Jesus *

Side Two
6. Beginning to See the Light
7. I'm Set Free
8. That's the Story of My Life
9. The Murder Mystery *
10. After Hours *

* signifies personal favorites

lbum-The-Velvet-Underground-The-Velvet-Underground.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground

I see you a lot of effort into your review Tattoo'd.:ty:

Unfortunately I can't get into this band, I give them credit for being innovative and daring, but I just am not a big fan of their music.:dunno:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Love it. Nice revue as well.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:clap: nice review!

I am one of those people who respect Velvet Underground, but I dont listen to them very often.

Reaction score

:clap: nice review!

I am one of those people who respect Velvet Underground, but I dont listen to them very often.

yep, same goes for me, I do like a couple of tracks, not really any from this album lol:tongue:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great review! I'm a fan of VU & of course Lou Reed.I also really like John Cale's Sabotage/Live album.I like all of the VU albums but 'Loaded' is my favorite. I also like the Another View even though it's a compilation of unreleased tracks or different versions. I love it for "We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together"

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

Great review! I'm a fan of VU & of course Lou Reed.I also really like John Cale's Sabotage/Live album.I like all of the VU albums but 'Loaded' is my favorite. I also like the Another View even though it's a compilation of unreleased tracks or different versions. I love it for "We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together"

ahhh i love Sabotage/Live! its so great. my favorite Cale album though is probably Vintage Violence

maplegliss

Reaction score

Great review!
Edit : I love Candy says dark subject matter, dressed up soooo sweetly.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Awesome band, great album. I love Velvets, and this album is good, but not as much as first two. I own this on vinyl and it's album for chill, not do dance madly like on VU&Nico and WL/WH and it's okay. If there one or two more true rock and roll songs like "What Goes On" this album would be way better. Peace

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Lou first solo album has one of my all time favorite covers.

3459136258_885598f06a.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online