The Underrated Guitarist Thread

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Growing up as a kid we always loved Al Di Meola

I think his reputaion is ok. :grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Here's a few of my favorite underrated players who I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:

Billy Zoom (of X)

Fast Eddie Clarke (Motorhead)

Roy Buchanon (only guitar players seem to know about him)

Steve Howe (of Yes). He won "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977 - 1981), nowadays most seem to have forgotten how good he is though.

James Williamson (the Stooges)

Whitey Kirst (he's been playing some vicious guitar with Iggy Pop for at least 20 years now, but I've never read one mention of him in a guitar magazine EVER!)

Roy Buchannon is the telecaster. He invented the sound that guitarists use with the Telecaster. I personally prefer Strats, but for those who like the Tele need to listen to this man. He is a superb blues guitarist

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Okay I have THE most underrated guitarist I have ever heard.

J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr.

4229-a.jpg

spudnuto

Reaction score
Not sure about underrated so much, more like overlooked (for some reason) would be Jim McCarty...Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Buddy Miles Express, tapes w/Jimi, Cactus, Rockets. I recall a Circus mag feature on Cactus...Jeff Beck showed up backstage before one of their gigs for a visit. They tried to talk him in to joining them onstage for a jam. He declined saying that McCarty would blow him off the stage. Beck may have been being gracious, but McCarty was hot!

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Not sure about underrated so much, more like overlooked (for some reason) would be Jim McCarty...Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Buddy Miles Express, tapes w/Jimi, Cactus, Rockets.

Agreed! Catcus was great....and that first Rockets album is great as well...

Jim McCarty...yep, now he's underrated!

Nice choice, spudnuto

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.