The Underrated Guitarist Thread

taha

Reaction score
Re: The Underated Guitarist Thread

that fact you don't know his name is good criteria for someone being underated

just got all their LP's and the more I listen the more I am finding out about the group, even That Metal Show has mentioned them !

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
i know alot of people think he's crap but i really enjoy jack whites playing...i also like andrew stockdale from "wolfmother"...

off the top of my head,some others that are great but seemingly under appreciated are:

mike bloomfield
uli jon roth
eddie hazel
robbie robertson
steve cropper
sonny sharrock
trey anastacio
gary moore
kenny burrell
robin trower
robbie kreiger
peter green
stanley jordan
randy hansen
jimmy vaughn

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Re: The Underated Guitarist Thread

25955.gif

Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains

I Think Jerry Cantrell Definitely Deserves some more credit because he is a great guitarist.

776px-alex_lifeson4.jpg

Alex Lifeson of Rush

This Guy Is A Great Guitarist. Even People Such As Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page said so.

metall_1.jpg
James Hetfield of Metallica

I put James up here, because I think fans worship Kirk Hammett too much that he is only recognized as a vocalist, not as a guitarist. His work on Nothing Else Matters is fantastic, and many people do not realize that it was Hetfield who did the solo for this song. He also starts off many of Metallica's speed metal riffs from Kill 'Em All. He's done many other solos too, but fans still fail to notice that he, and not only Hammett, is behind some of the tricky stuff too.[/QUOTE

I love jerry cantrell's style. He has great solo work. Hetfield is a very good rhythm guitarist. The rhythm is just as important as the lead.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Other than Carlos Cavazo from Quiet Riot, most guitarists I like get the proper respect they deserve. His playing is a lot better than he gets credit for.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Vernon Reid
Alex Lifeson

Delving deeper:

Dean De Leo
Noel Gallagher
Mike McCready
Chad Taylor

and Deeper:

Alex Chilton
Pete Ham
Mick Ronson
Billy Duffy
Robby Kreiger
Don Felder

and Deeper yet:

Tom Morello

Finally the Deepest:

Marc Bolan

Last edited:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
Here's a few of my favorite underrated players who I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:

Billy Zoom (of X)

Fast Eddie Clarke (Motorhead)

Roy Buchanon (only guitar players seem to know about him)

Steve Howe (of Yes). He won "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977 - 1981), nowadays most seem to have forgotten how good he is though.

James Williamson (the Stooges)

Whitey Kirst (he's been playing some vicious guitar with Iggy Pop for at least 20 years now, but I've never read one mention of him in a guitar magazine EVER!)

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
oh man, Alex Lifeson, Tom Morello, and James Hetfield are soooo far away from being underrated, countless people get the hugest boners for these guys and their guitar abilities. they are by no means lacking attention, unknown, or underappreciated

here are some names i'll throw in though

neil young
al di meola
sterling morrison (of the velvet underground)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online