The Underrated Guitarist Thread

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
List underated guitarists that you think do not get the praise they deserve

Vernon Reid-Living Colour
Vernon is an excellent guitarist who can shred with the best of them

Adam Jones- Tool

Adam gets lost in the shuffle between Maynard's pioneering vocals and Danny Carey making a case IMO of best drummer of all time. Adam has a chord dubbed the "Tool Chord" which is featured in the song "Sober."

runtfan

Reaction score
Re: The Underated Guitarist Thread

OK, here's a few -

Davey Johnstone - Elton John's guitarist since the beginning. He's very versatile - everything from banjo and mandolin to screamin' lead guitar. He's probably been heard on the radio about as much as anybody in rock.

Todd Rundgren - He has been, and still is an excellent guitarist. His peak was probably in the 70's, but he was well above average as a 20 year old with The Nazz in 1968. His heroes were Clapton, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, and The Beatles and it's amazing how quickly he assimilated and regurgitated what he learned from all of them right from the start. He became known more as a singer, writer, and producer but at his peak he was among the best.

Ty Tabor ( King's X ) - great chops, great writer, great tone.

Kim Mitchell (Max Webster)- outstanding guitarist, as well as singer, frontman, and chief writer for an excellent band.

Tommy Shaw ( Styx) - In addition to being co-frontman and a main singer for Styx, he plays great lead, rhythm, acoustic, and mandolin. Very versatile.

invader

Reaction score

warren demartini - ratt
chris holmes - wasp
vinnie vincent - kiss, vinnie vincent invasion
ace frehley - kiss

taha

Reaction score

the dude from XYZ, that guy can play !

Spankymadoo

Reaction score

Gary Richrath from REO Speedwagon
Chris Hayes - the guy who played lead for Huey Lewis and the News - saw them live once and that guy kicked ass.
:peek

runtfan

Reaction score

Chris Hayes - the guy who played lead for Huey Lewis and the News - saw them live once and that guy kicked ass.
:peek

Good call! Chris Hayes was always a very tasty player.

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score

25955.gif

Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains

I Think Jerry Cantrell Definitely Deserves some more credit because he is a great guitarist.

776px-alex_lifeson4.jpg

Alex Lifeson of Rush

This Guy Is A Great Guitarist. Even People Such As Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page said so.

metall_1.jpg
James Hetfield of Metallica

I put James up here, because I think fans worship Kirk Hammett too much that he is only recognized as a vocalist, not as a guitarist. His work on Nothing Else Matters is fantastic, and many people do not realize that it was Hetfield who did the solo for this song. He also starts off many of Metallica's speed metal riffs from Kill 'Em All. He's done many other solos too, but fans still fail to notice that he, and not only Hammett, is behind some of the tricky stuff too.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I still stick to Billy Corgan as a guitarist that always gets overlooked! Smashing Pumpkins were always a dreamy, somewhat progressive, all out rock guitar band except in some stages where they took a break from the instrument and Billy controlled most all guitar work on the albums.

billy110.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I agree with Alex Lifeson....a classic guitarist who seldom gets any acknowledgement.

Another classic guitarist who deserves more praise is Steve Howe of Yes.

And lets give credit to the guitarist who developed the "tapping" technique...Stanley Jordan.

And I would add Brian Greenway of April Wine....excellent classic guitarist.

I am going to throw a stange one out here as underrated for my 5th choice, Micheal Hedges....such a sound and guitar innovator that hardly anyone knows anymore....one of the very first shredders, btw.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online