The Strawbs..

Stout

Reaction score
They originally started out as a folk band in the late sixties, and they are probably more famous as the band Rick Wakeman left to join Yes. However, they are one of the more overlooked acts in prog circles, having made two albums, hero and heroine(1974), and Ghosts(1975) that are a credit to the genre. Dave Cousins was the bandleader and main songwriter of a group, and has overseen changes of the band the way Robert Fripp has with Crimson. But the main difference is Dave Cousins forte is good , concentrated songwriting with melodies that grab you.
When guitarist Dave Lambert joined the band in the early `70`s, the Strawbs kept their folk tendencies alive, while pursuing a harder-edged progressive sound. Great bass work by Chas Cronk and exquisite mellotron work by keyboardist John harken
Dave Cousins and the Strawbs are still active, either playing unplugged or electric. I have seen t them unplugged and Cousins is quite the storyteller, recounting tales on how each of his songs are written and what they were inspired by.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score

This an example of the stellar songwriting The strawbs had.

And the above is one of the finer prog tracks of the `70`s.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You must have read my mind Stout, I was hoping someone covered the Strawbs.:tup:

I have three albums:

Grave New World

Bursting at the Seams

Hero & Heroine.

I bought their greatest hits compilation LP when it came out and other than two songs I didn't much care for them. The vocalist is either someone you like or not. But having matured slightly over the last 30 years I picked up those three CD's I posted and liked them way more than my first exposure to them.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I'll write more later but I consider the Strawbs to be the most underated, under appreciated progressive rock band. I've never understood why they weren't bigger. I've got all their 70's albums and quite a few boots.

Stout

Reaction score
I feel so backwards here for having no clue on how to embed youtube videos here. Thanks your lordship.
I do agree with you on Dave Cousins` vocals. They are an accquired taste, but they are at least characteristic.
The hero and the Heroine is their best effort. `Round and Round' is their best known track and killer at that.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You're welcome Stout.

Here's the way Magic has set up the embedding procedure.

[+YT]Copy the Youtube URL after the = sign in here[/YT+]

Take out the + and you are set to go.

So here's Tears & Pavan the complete URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omwzk-sv9bI

Now follow my instructions.

[+YT]Omwzk-sv9bI[/YT+]

Take out the + and you have

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
another jem-Grave New World

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Great thread Stout, I have a few strawbs albums and have seen them a few times, I talked to Dave Cousins last year and he was telling me about the upcoming show with lots of previous members joining him on stage including Rick Wakeman, sadly I couldn't make it.

I have the live in Tokyo DVD which includes Grave new world the movie, this is very good.

Fug

Reaction score
My fave Strawbs album is Hero and Heroine. This set has a different line up from Bursting At The Seams. It features ex-Nashville Teens keyboardman, John Hawken of "Tobacco Road." fame.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like that album myself Fug, and nice to have another fan of theirs in the house.:cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online