The Steep Canyon Rangers w/Steve Martin (Official Thread)

Terra812

Reaction score
Steep Canyon Rangers Official Website

Albums:

2001 Old Dreams and New Dreams
2002 Mr. Taylor's New Home
2004 The Steep Canyon Rangers
2005 One Dime at a Time
2007 Lovin' Pretty Women
2009 Deep in the Shade
2011 Rare Bird Alert (With Steve Martin)
2012 Nobody Knows You

I recorded Austin City Limits last week, it was Steve Martin with The Steep Canyon Rangers. I knew Steve Martin played the banjo but damn that boy can pick! :dude:

He released his first all music record last year and won a grammy for best Bluegrass album.

Couldn't find a good clip from ACL ... here they are on Letterman

I found this clever... this is from ACL

Atheists Don't Have No Songs

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Re: Steve Martin w/ The Steep Canyon Rangers

I remember seeing him on the Jools Holland show one night.

Yeah, he's definitely a great bluegrass player. It's sad that most people I've showed it too fail to take it seriously, because, well, he's a comedic actor...

But yeah, been trying to hunt down the album for a little while now, can't seem to get my mitts on it though.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Steve Martin has been a great banjo player since I can remember...way back in the 70's. Oh the good old days. :wa

Steve-Martin-with-banjo.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Wow I'm impressed! The first was a great display of a talent I never knew Steve Martin had and the second was a brilliant funny song with beautiful harmonies! I know of his standup/SNL, etc. but I've only experienced his movie work (Planes, Trains and Automobiles is the shit!!!). What I liked about this is that Steve knows his place and lets the other members shine. For example Steve doesn't showboat himself in the first vid. You see all the band members and besides the awesome playing Steve blends in like he should as a group member. In the second I love how he knows his limits in singing and only came in during the easy vocal parts! The group members had amazing vocals and you could tell that Steve was still just glad to be involved and appreciated their talent. I'm sure Steve wrote the lyrics and the band constructed the rest! Good surprise for me here Terra! :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I only watched the first vid and i tell you what, he should stick with this and give up the "acting", especially since he's such a terrible actor. That song alone was better than his last half-dozen movies put together.

:)

Pretty cool. And yeah, he's been a good banjo player dating back to at least the 70's that I remember.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:grinthumb

Yeah well he's not as good as this guy

banjo.jpg

:oyea:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I saw him on Jools Holland too, he was fantastic, it inspired me to buy the album, it is very good, you have to give him credit, he has made some great films and can play many a tune:)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Impressive Banjo player! I had no clue he played......and he is really good.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I remember Steve Martin appearing on the Colbert Report a ways back and him and Steven Colbert plated a rendition of Dueling Banjos and it really blew me away with how good Steve could play the banjo. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online