The Smashing pumpkins - Adore (1998)

Oblivion

Reaction score
adore.jpg

The 4th studio album by the smashing pumpkins, and my nr°1. :bow:
Adore is the Pumpkins' only album to date not to feature original drummer Jimmy Chamberlin and it marked a change in sound for The Smashing Pumpkins; Greg Kot of Rolling Stone magazine noted that the album "isn't just a transitional record; it's a complete break with the past."
Not many bands break with the past with such grace and style...
Their previously layered, guitar-oriented sound was largely replaced by a quieter and more electronic influenced sound, and incorporated drum machines and synthesizers. Which doesn't sound good when written down like that, but wait until you hear the album... They get away with it..

Track listing

All songs written by Billy Corgan.

1. "To Sheila" – 4:46
2. "Ava Adore" – 4:21
3. "Perfect" – 3:23
4. "Daphne Descends" – 4:39
5. "Once Upon a Time" – 4:06
6. "Tear" – 5:53
7. "Crestfallen" – 4:09
8. "Appels + Oranjes" – 3:35
9. "Pug" – 4:47
10. "The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete" – 4:35
11. "Annie-Dog" – 3:38
12. "Shame" – 6:40
13. "Behold! The Night Mare" – 5:13
14. "For Martha" – 8:18
15. "Blank Page" – 4:58

Just look at those songs... Normally I don't love many songs on one cd... usually I love one or 2 and like the others... With Adore I love almost all of them... and I extremely like the other songs. :rolleyes:
I just like the melancholic sound this album has.. And the piano..

Anyway, here's some music:

:) Hope you guys enjoy !

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The Smashing pumpkins - Adore

AHHH, OHHH, YeaH! this is a terrific album, OB. I have heard most of the songs, but haven't gotten around to "obtaining" it yet.

Great review, and thanks for jogging my memory to a fantastically ambient album I need to get :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Smashing pumpkins - Adore

OB, you know my love for this c.d. already. If any band has had an undersestimated true dark horse favorite in their catalog this is it. This c.d. showed that Billy had the cajones to do what he felt was right artistically. I love the conventions it broke coming right off their most mainstream c.d. Melloncollie and the Infinite Sadness. The fact that it starts off with such a quiet track like

To Sheila

was unconventional enough. Ironically, the best track on it was, as you listed, For Martha which finally after an amazing build gave us the only guitar on the album.

You know what would have been awesome. If Eye had made it on this album! I love that song and it was my preview of their more electronic style.

Eye

p.s. Also has their best cover art! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online