The+Shadows+PNG.png

Members:
Hank Marvin
Bruce Welch
Brian Bennett
Sir Cliff Richard

Gibraltar

Reaction score
The Shadows influenced so many people. George Harrison said “no Shadows, no Beatles”. In Hamburg the Beatles recorded an instrumental tribute “Cry for a Shadow”. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Dave Gilmour and Brian May have all put on record the debt they owe to Hank Marvin. Neil Young took part in a tribute album to Hank. Mark Knopfler is another fan. If you listen to their early hits, you hear great melodies played in a unique style. Hank owned the first Fender Stratocaster in the U.K., bought for him by Cliff. Listen to their music and their records with Cliff, for whom they wrote many songs.

E-Z

Reaction score
I have a 'best of' cd of Jet Harris (bass guitar) and Tony Meehan (drums & vocals) which is ok but I haven't listened to it for a couple of years but when I feel like some post British early 1960s rock & roll from the 1963-64 era it's ok. It is mainly instrumental numbers although there are a few tracks with vocals.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
E-Z..i collect Joe Meek records and CD's...some unusual stuff ..but with great young musicians..like Blackmore, Chas Chandler, Jimmy Miller, Alvin Stardust,Paul Nicholas etc...Marty Wilde i still like...but all that Larry Parnes stuff had a relative short life span...when you put The Kinks or The Stones up against Heinz- it was game over!
The only reason Cliff survived is that he picked and recorded the best written songs of the time.
This song..with all the energy of a flat above a Hardware shop on Holloway Rd.
Just bridges that gap nicely between Brylcreem and dope...never believe he'd be in The Great Escape and Von Ryans Express!

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
E-Z..i collect Joe Meek records and CD's...some unusual stuff ..but with great young musicians..like Blackmore, Chas Chandler, Jimmy Miller, Alvin Stardust,Paul Nicholas etc...Marty Wilde i still like...but all that Larry Parnes stuff had a relative short life span...when you put The Kinks or The Stones up against Heinz- it was game over!
The only reason Cliff survived is that he picked and recorded the best written songs of the time.
This song..with all the energy of a flat above a Hardware shop on Holloway Rd.
I only live up the road from Holloway road in Tufnell Park in north London. Joe Meek's old place is these days a private flat above a 'Indian mini market food shop' and has been for maybe the last 20 years?. Yes a 'blue plaque' is fixed high on the brickwork of the building stating that this was Joe Meek the 'Telstar man' recording studio where he died on February 7th 1967.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Last time i was that way..in a boozing capacity! Archway Tavern, Gresham Ballroom and i was involved in Kiss Fm for a time. Mrs.Shentons old shop was a cycle shop then. Used to stay on Hatchard Rd.

E-Z

Reaction score
Last time i was that way..in a boozing capacity! Archway Tavern, Gresham Ballroom and i was involved in Kiss Fm for a time. Mrs.Shentons old shop was a cycle shop then. Used to stay on Hatchard Rd.
The Archway Tavern pub has since closed (I'm not sure when but possibly in the last couple of years?) but back in the 1980s Eric Bell Thin Lizzy's original guitarist on the first three albums use to play a regular Saturday night gig at the pub and would always end the night with the Thin Lizzy style version of Whiskey In The Jar which always went down well with the mainly Irish crowd. As for the Gresham Ballroom that closed back in the mid 1990s and the site has subsequently become a Sainsbury's supermarket. I am only a few hundred yards from where the old Gresham Ballroom was I am at Upper Holloway railway station.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Thanks man, would you believe i used to come to London just for records and badges...and clothes from Flip on Long Acre. Kitted myself in suitable Brian Jones gear. The Badge Shop was literally crammed with badges ( buttons)...still got 51st Anniversary and Manic Depression ones from 1982!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online