The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
No way did i make any attempt to see The Faces with Mick Hucknall or Terence Trent Darby at the mic stand.
I went to see Mott The Hoople a while back..that was something to behold!
"Musical Differences" was the tagline when Brian 'left' too in 1969.
Though to be fair he was not contributing fully and had been a right royal pain in the arse for a few years. He often drove Keith mad in the teen screaming days by playing Popeye The Sailor Man during Heart Of Stone. Is or was being in the Stones the zenith?...i'd find it stifling if i was creative- as my contribution would be morphed under the Glimmer Twins umbrella.
Seeing the band these days is a bit like visiting Pisa or going to Old Trafford for tourists. They were brutal in Dublin..save for Tumbling Dice and a couple more.
Love You Live has some nice spots..but tainted with sadness .This album.. and Olympic Studio Engineer Keith Harwood was working on LYL and on the way home after a mixing session crashed into a tree and died...2 weeks later, Marc Bolan perishes at the same spot!
For Keith Harwood..
If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off Of My Cloud.

E-Z

Reaction score
That made me smile the thought of Brian going into 'Popeye The Sailor Man' during Heart Of Stone and Keith glaring at him!.

Yeah Keith Harwood I often always read all the album credits including who was the producer and engineer on albums.

As previously posted with regards to the Love You Live album I would have preferred the whole album being taken from a USA stadium concert rather than a mixture of tracks recorded from the US and others from Europe and I would have 'dropped' the Canadian club gig but that's just me.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Not seen E-Z for a while..hope all is good man.
Just got thinking today - about some songs that did come over well live...and also some tracks that are well beyond album fillers.
Rolling Stones - Almost Hear You Sigh.
( think this was destined for Keith's Talk Is Cheap album, co-written by Steve Jordan.
Chris Kimsey at the desk and help from Chris Jagger!)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Began it's studio life in Suresnes in France..and was tacked onto the Forty Licks album. Rumour had it that this was headed for Micks Goddess LP- but became a fine single with Keiths black beauty chopping a fine backriff.
Rolling Stones - Don't Stop

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Benmont Tench who worked previously with Tom Petty provides air whoosh accordion- Charlie lays the beat on trash cans and Mick screams thru' the harp mike...great irish feel to boot!
Rolling Stones - Moon Is Up.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
The pot has bin' well stirred concerning Goats Head Soup!
Lookin' forward to the Glimmer Twins throwing their nose over It's Only Rock n Roll. The last album from the every year batch...gaps of two years and longer..began to emerge. This album had a last minute cover change...which is a shame, 'cause this and Dirty Work and No Security are decidedly shit!
Some great Musicland Munich tracks were cut around this time-
188477-0.jpg

Reactions: E-Z

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Shame old Brian never got the real credit due to him for his mellotron work on this song..even with the 'studio delay' ..Brian nailed it.
Nicky Hopkins earned his stripes here..and that rumbling keyboard work is typical of him.
John and Paul appear...Brian returned the favour from the Baby You're A Rich Man session.
We Love You.
( partial scenes from Peter Whiteheads original promo vid.)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online