The Rolling stones "last Tour"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I saw the Stones about a decade ago, and I can't imagine them still touring, but money talks and shit walks apparently.

There comes a time to just retire, Mick Jagger has already contradicted himself numerous times, they are all addicted to the celebrity of being the Rolling Stones, I am all for longevity but be honest guys and gals do you think any of their last 4 or 5 CD's are as good as their early material? I for one do not, and I have them all in the library.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
They love performing, but it has to end sometime. I do believe they made half a BILLION on their last major outing. Not bad for AARP members.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I saw the Stones about a decade ago, and I can't imagine them still touring, but money talks and shit walks apparently.

There comes a time to just retire, Mick Jagger has already contradicted himself numerous times, they are all addicted to the celebrity of being the Rolling Stones, I am all for longevity but be honest guys and gals do you think any of their last 4 or 5 CD's are as good as their early material? I for one do not, and I have them all in the library.

But, as you yourself demonstrate, people are still buying their newer material. And they are a great live band. They were in my area just a few years back. The $600 VIP tickets were the first to sell out.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree they have been successful by any yardstick you choose to measure them by, but it is all about the money now, hell Jagger was quoted in the late 70's saying he couldn't see touring past his 50's, and didn't want the band to become a caricature of themselves.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Lord Grendel:

I saw the Stones about a decade ago, and I can't imagine them still touring.... There comes a time to just retire....

If they were washed up, then perhaps it would be time. But they didn't look washed up during their last tour. They can still get out and rock! Did you see the movie "A Bigger Bang"?

...they are all addicted to the celebrity of being the Rolling Stones....

You're not equating that to a bad thing hopefully. That too would be my addiction of choice!

...but be honest guys and gals do you think any of their last 4 or 5 CD's are as good as their early material?

This is my own ranking of Rolling Stones' albums up to the mid-nineties:

Flowers
December's Children
Rolling Stones Now
Sticky Fingers
Beggars' Banquet
Let It Bleed
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
Between the Buttons(U.S.)
Some Girls
Out of Our Heads
Voodoo Lounge
Tattoo You
Black and Blue
Emotional Rescue
Aftermath(U.S.)
England's Newest Hitmakers
Exile on Main Street
12 X 5
Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Undercover

My answer would therefore be no - but your comparison isn't the right one. What you should be asking is whether the Rolling Stones are still putting out better music than the majority of performers out there these days. Turn on today's contemporary hit/rock radio and you'll quickly realize that the answer is - yes!

Mr. Shadow:

They love performing, but it has to end sometime.

Keith Richards has pointed out that the old bluesmen the Stones grew up emulating never retired. So why should they?

None of this retiring gracefully to the rocking chair like Paul McCartney. Get out there and rock suckers!

:ro: :guitar: :drummin: :rock: :bounce: :firew:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you Fox, I just feel they have left their best days behind them. I don't think Richards has many miles left, and when he is in a walker or wheelchair what's next?

I stick with my point as well, they have not come close to the quality of material of their early days, a sure sign of loss of creative spark which is understandable, and seeing I don't follow all the new bands I don't feel like comparing the sub-par newer recordings by the Stones to some of the newer bands albums.

Every band has it's time and I feel the Stones have had theirs, regardless of how much money they make on tour.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Okay. There's plenty of market demand for another Stones' tour but you're arguing that the Stones should gracefully fade into the sunset only because they're no longer as good a band as they once were. That's one of those "legacy" arguments with which I'm not much impressed.

I guess then we'll have to agree to disagree.

:violin2: :hs:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Foxhound wrote:

Okay. There's plenty of market demand for another Stones' tour but you're arguing that the Stones should gracefully fade into the sunset only because they're no longer as good a band as they once were. That's one of those "legacy" arguments with which I'm not much impressed.

I guess then we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's all pretty much been said in "The Last Time" basically. The problem is the band will only cease when the tickets aren't being sold, as long as those Tickets are selling, their pretty much gonna have another concert - like it or loath it, there ain't much you can do about it! :bump:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont care if they are in wheelchairs, I would go see them again. I saw the "Steel Wheels" tour and it was great!

Isn't that what we go to these things for is to see the celebrities? And they are famous celebrities :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online