The return of...The Bay City Rollers

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
bbc.com

_85678688_bay_city_rollers_pa.jpg

Former 70s boy band Bay City Rollers have announced a reunion, nearly 30 years after splitting up.

During their heyday, the Scottish group sold 120 million records and had a huge teenage fanbase.

Famed for their tartan outfits, the band had several line-ups over the years.

The reunion features three of the "classic five" - Les McKeown, Alan Longmuir and Stuart Wood - who had hits such as Bye Bye Baby and Shang-a-Lang.

They also performed several sell-out tours and hosted their own TV show.

Wood, McKeown and Longmuir have promised "a very special Christmas present to all the fans that have kept the faith with the band over the years".

_85687819_rollers_1975_bbc.jpg

It is believed that will include a new album and a comeback show at the Barrowlands in Glasgow in December.

Announcing the reunion at a press conference in Glasgow, singer Les McKeown joked: "You think we're doing it for money but we're doing it for the glory of Scotland and the glory of the tartan.

"Taking the Scottish name all around the globe. That's what we're doing it for - to see our fans again one more time."

The band formed at the end of the 60s and its first incarnation was two Edinburgh brothers, Alan and Derek Longmuir, who formed a band with their school mates.

They conquered the UK, US, Australia and Japan but music journalist Caroline Sullivan told the BBC that by late 1977 their popularity had waned.

"There is obviously a sell-by date for all boy bands and the Rollers were reaching theirs," she said.

"They had a really good run. The fans were growing up and The Rollers themselves were obviously completely fed up with it."

The band finally imploded when McKeown left in 1978 and bitter battles over the money they should have been paid dragged on for years.

TMG

Titus Maximus Headphonius
Reaction score
Bay City Rollers = one of the main reasons back in the 70's that I got into serious rock music, played by actual serious musicians .... as a kid I heard/saw them, and other people like them, on 'Top of the Pops', and thought to myself "Jesus, there surely has to be something better out there than this total crock of sh*t" ... and so I saved my pocket money/allowance and went out and bought 'Black Sabbath Volume 4', my first ever rock album, so I'd say I have a lot to thank the BCR's for. :grinthumb:grinthumb

JimJam

Reaction score
All i remember of them is the hype-hype-hype surrounding their appearance on the short-lived Howard Cosell variety hour on ABC sometime in the mid '70s. Was supposed to be the equivalent of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, good grief! They had their few minutes of fame and disappeared, at least in the U.S. I don't recall anyone missing them!

~Banshee~

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
Oh lord....I remember "roller mania" very well, girls would walk the streets chanting B-a-y B-a-y B-a-y C-i-t-y...etc...they were crazy !!....this looks to me like a car crash waiting to happen

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I saw them being interviewed on a day-time TV show a couple of days ago. I was quite surprised how I warmed to them. They were self-deprecating and funny. Good luck to them I guess :omg:

TMG

Reaction score
I wonder if, at their ages now, they're still going to wear pants that we about 7 sizes too small/short for them? :uh:

TMG

Reaction score
^^^ Holy crap, guy looks like an undertaker - if the band reunion dies a death, maybe he can cremate and bury them??

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online