The Polyphonic Spree (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
tps_zpsd761f1bc.png

Official Polyphonic Spree Site
Official Polyphonic Spree Facebook

Soldier Girl EP (2002)
The Beginning Stages of ... The Polyphonic Spree (2002)
Light & Day EP (2003)
Together We're Heavy (2004)
Wait EP (2006)
The Fragile Army (2007)
HolidayDream: Sounds of the Holidays Vol. One (2012)
Yes, It's True (2013)

The Polyphonic Spree is truly a one of a kind band. If I had to sum them up I'd describe their music and symphonic hippie music and the music's purest export of happiness. Literally, The Polyphonic Spree's mission is to spread positive vibes to the world. Sure, if you combine that with their robes they seem a little cult-ish but I can assure you that is not the case.
With close to two dozen people in the band the Polyphonic Spree is one of the largest bands I know of and they need every one of those members. Their songs utilize a choir, horn section, strings, harp, piano, a slew of guitars, and more to create a very lush wall of sound. Where most rock bands who write a symphonic rock song here or there and use studio musicians to flesh it out, this band uses only it's members and uses each and every one of them in every song.
Another unusual characteristic of The Spree is that their first three albums were written as one suite. Each song is listed as a separate section and all 32 can be listened to in order to create a giant meta-album of joy. They moved one from this for their most recent album "Yes, It's True", released earlier this year, which incorporates more indie influences into their style.

The Polyphonic Spree is a band that I have always been able to count on to cheer me up when I need it. Their music is just blissful and unintimidating in a way that I just need sometimes. I had the great fortune of getting a free ticket to see them in Columbus in late June and they were unbelievably good. They venue we were at was primarily known for hardcore punk and metal bands so to say they were not a typical band for it is a vast understatement. Even with that though they crowd could not have been better. It must have been at least 90 degrees and humid that day and was even hotter in the venue but the band and the crowd fed off of each other magnificently. The Polyphonic Spree ended up coming back for three separate encores which eventually culminated in their cover of Nirvana's "Lithium" and I just have this vision still planted in my brain of lead singer, Tim DeLaughter, hanging from the ceiling over the crowd while everyone jumped up and down screaming the chorus at the top of their lungs. I have never felt that kind of power in a single song at a concert ever before and I'm not sure I ever will again.
After the show I was able to meet everyone in the band and ended up spending the most time with their harp player Ricky. I did get the chance to see Tim though and I told him how much his music means to me and he was so very kind in return. I even got to take a picture...

7939_570253633016768_630833811_n.jpg

Anyway, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but here are some standout tracks by them...

Light & Day

Their best known song. It's been used in a lot of movies and ads, most notably Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Lithium (Nirvana Cover)

Until I saw them live I just thought their cover was alright. Now I think it's better than the original.

Hold Me Now

I listen to this song a lot when I feel lonely. I know it's sappy but...it is what it is.

Running Away

I hope you like what you hear.​

Abraxas

Reaction score
Cool pic with the lead singer there, Cosmic. :)

I love this group. They totally are a unique band. I discovered them several years ago on Austin City Limits on our local PBS station and I was totally blown away! Awesome music!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Thanks, Abraxas. I have a habit of meeting band members after shows without usually trying. For Tim though I specifically waited around to meet him and met everyone else in the band in the process since he was the last one to come out from backstage.

And they really are completely unique. That's probably what draws me to them. That they're so fresh sounding. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.