The Police (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sting Earns $2,000 A Day From 'Every Breath You Take'

Sting Earns $2,000 A Day From 'Every Breath You Take'

A new report from the website Celebrity Net Worth has revealed that Sting earns roughly $2,000 a day in royalties from the Police track "Every Breath You Take." Much of the income from the song is derived from its sampling in the Diddy cut "I'll Be Missing You," which features the song's signature guitar hook.

According to the report, Sting earns 100% of the publishing royalties from the Diddy track, as the rap mogul failed to clear the publishing rights to the sample before it was released. Had the track been properly licensed Sting would have only been entitled to 25% of the royalties from it.

And despite Andy Summers being the only Police member heard on the sample, he retains none of the royalties, as Sting was credited as the song's sole writer.

He spoke with Ultimate Classic Rock calling it "the major rip-off of all time," adding: "t's very flattering. I guess everybody likes it . . . Stewart [Copeland]'s not on it. Sting's not on it. I'd be walking round Tower Records, and the f—ing thing would be playing over and over."

Radagast

Reaction score
Having a nice day

440px-Police-album-synchronicity.jpg

IMO, the essential Police recording that should grace the collections of those that like their music. As I work on todays project, I'll have on American College Football game on the TV as I listen to this great recording. Blow the dust off your copy and enjoy it again for the first time

The following music selection will be Pink Floyd - Meddle . :woot:

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
IMO, the essential Police recording that should grace the collections of those that like their music.

Agreed. I don't know what their relationship was like there at the end (musically or personally), but it's kind of odd their last studio album is (imo) their tightest and most musically rich. The only track I skip is Mother. A bit too chaotic for my tastes.

p.s. I know what I'll be listening to while running a load of books to the Goodwill. Thanks Rad!

Radagast

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't know what their relationship was like there at the end (musically or personally), but it's kind of odd their last studio album is (imo) their tightest and most musically rich. The only track I skip is Mother. A bit too chaotic for my tastes.

p.s. I know what I'll be listening to while running a load of books to the Goodwill. Thanks Rad!

Rock On ! :****:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Despite it's non-consecutive seventeen weeks at number one,the big focus for the year was,of course Michael Jackson's "Thriller",which I feel is highly over rated."Thriller" beat out "Syncro" for the Album of the Year trophy,but we all know what a load of crap the Grammy presentations have been at many times,probably due to industrty politics."Synchronicity" exhibits far more imagination and creative verve.And yes,Radagast,I think everyone of classic rock fandom would indeed consider this a must have.I feel evevn the cover design is among the more classic ones.This would make for a relly cool poster.............

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Always have been a fan of the police but just stumbled on this
Interesting didn't realize this happened

Strontium90policeacademy.jpg

"Strontium 90 was the name of a short-lived 1977 British band with members Mike Howlett (lead bass, vocals), Sting (bass, vocals), Stewart Copeland (drums), and Andy Summers (guitar). The band is most notable for introducing Summers to Sting and Copeland, as this trio would go on to massive success as The Police.

The band was formed in mid-1977 by Howlett after he quit Gong and recruited Sting and Summers to participate in a new project. Chris Cutler was unavailable to play drums, so Sting brought along Copeland, who he had been playing with in an early lineup of The Police.

Strontium 90 recorded several demo tracks at Virtual Earth Studios, and then performed at a Gong reunion concert in Paris on 28 May 1977.[1] An album with some of these studio and live tracks was released in 1997 under the name Strontium 90: Police Academy. The foursome also performed at a London club as "The Elevators" in July 1977"

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Duo bass Sting and Mike Howlett. Interesting even though its the Pre Police it sounds like a Gong jam session?

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
the police yesssssssssssssssssss

the police where a breath of fresh air.

there albums are hardly off the turntable...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online