The Paisley Underground thread !!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE LONG RYDERS.......A band Ive neglected over the years.....Im a fool because they ooze class. Strongly influenced by Gram Parsons and The Byrds/ Buffalo Springfield with country and even at times punk influences.Formed 83 around guitarist/vocalist Sid Griffin the band had many extra qualities with various members playing instruments like steel guitar,banjo,mandolin and even bugle! The Long Ryders are back together again and there is talk of European dates in 2010.Check out these tracks.......they rock!!!......hairstyle dodgy...love the rickenbacker 12 string guitars!!! :grinthumb

THE GREEN PAJAMAS.........Now heres a undiscovered gem..:grinthumb.the band are from Seattle and not L.A ! I must admit heres another group id never heard of........even though they have done....22 albums lol !!:heheh: Formed 83 and are still going......I like their style

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
GREEN ON RED.............Originally from Tucson Arizona.....they moved to L.A where they were active in the 80s being rewarded with a major deal with Mercury/phonogram records.....still play the odd show now and again,this song sounds very Neil Young influenced....

GAME THEORY..........Formed 81 featured vocalist Scott Miller. Had moderate success and reviews but fell apart in 1989 when their record label Enigma folded.Miller went to join THE LOUD FAMILY.......while Donnette Thayer [backing vocals guitars] linked up with THE CHURCHs Steve Kilbey:bow: to record an album under the name HEX [ I Own this album.....superb ]

THIN WHITE ROPE..........Highly acclaimed band who made half a dozen albums between 84 and 92. Fronted by Guy Kyser on vocals and guitarist Roger Kunkel. Kysers vocals are a bit of an acquired taste:wtf:.....but after hearing more of their tracks warmed to them.............

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
HOUSE OF FREAKS.......were a two man band Bryan Harvey [guitars/vocals] and Johnny Holt [percussion]. Made a couple of influential albums...but failed to break through. They later joined the group GUTTERBALL .
On New years day 2006 after a performance with his later band NRG KRYSYS Harvey,his wife and two young daughters were brutally murdered in their Richmond home.The killers were convicted. One was sentenced to death the other recieved life in prison. A despicable crime that robbed music of genuine talent R.I.P

OPAL..............[also under the band name CLAY ALLISON] OPAL made an album and a few 12 in singles. The band featured ex RAIN PARADE s Dave Roback and DREAM SYNDICATEs bass player Kandra Smith .Smith walked out on the band during a gig......Roback formed MAZZY STAR

THE DROOGS.......72 to 92 This band were heavily inspired by 60s garage rock and at times had a punk edge. Dave Provost of Dream Syndicate had a spell with the group in the 80s.Found success in Europe signing with German label Music maniac

THE PANDORAS........were an all female 60s revival garage rock band from 83 to 91.They were fun and very tongue in cheek. In later years THE PANDORAS even had a deal with Elektra records and towards the end were becoming a heavy rock band...they even got played on headbangers ball
The band ended when on Aug 10th 91 band leader Paula Pierce came home from the gym suffered an aneurysm and died.She was only 31 years old R.I.P

Cinder

Reaction score
I must admit I havent heard of the Paisley Underground either (hangs head in shame).

I was quite surprised to see The Bangles in that list Magic and thank you for leaving a list as the only other band Ive heard of is the Chesterfield Kings although having said that I think I vaguely remember hearing of The Morlock.

Liking the pics of the budgies and the also the song cheap wine Lou Lou :D I can relate to both lol :D

I will have to take a listen to the vid clips you have put up also so I can give you some feedback :D

Ha ha ha sorry guys, couldnt resist the pics :p xx

Last edited:

Cinder

Reaction score
Well as Mr L has posted quite a few Vids and thank you for that. It will take a while to give some feedback on them all.

Firstly, Rain Parade - No Easy Way Down, I thought this was very trippy lol and I could easily have pictured The Doors doing this one :D

Cheapwine I thought was better.

Re the Paisley vid - Omg! Was that Mark Skinner? He looked so young :-(

The Pontiac Brothers I thought sounded very much like Rolling Stones lol along with The Morlocks also :D

Untold Fables reminded me of The Ramones, isnt it funny how music seems to intergrate with the bands.

You know I remember when Paisley shirts came in and I think that may have coincided with all this Paisley underground stuff, not sure as I was such a baby lol :D

I like the shirts and the music ? Hmmmmmm some of it is ok lol if you were a hippy :D

That reminds me, I had some paisley leggings not that long ago lol

Last edited:

Cinder

Reaction score
I didnt realise Paisley was so varied.

I quite like The Three o'clock, my god how thin are his legs lol. Love the boots :D
Its a shame that they split and they are definately more than groooovy babeeeeee :D

Ture West, I like these also they remind me of another band that I cant quite place. Love Hold On.

Flying Colours? What great lyrics, love Dear Friend.

I thought True West - Step to the door had a sound of Joy Divison to them.

Thats what I enjoy about Classic Rock Forum, there is so much to learn about music here :D

Thank you Lou :D

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
CALIFORNIAN cheap red wine !! excellent....Cinder xx...:)
I love that RAIN PARADE album cover!....easy to mistake for a BUDGIE L.p lol :D

Other bands to mention......THE FUZZTONES [Good band..:grinthumb... Snakes and ladders has done a thread.....

THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS [:bow::tup::bow::D Have I already said I love this band??.....yep a thousand times :lmao:
Check out Rtbucks thread!!.......If you like the Stones..Dolls etc this bands for you!!

Cinder

Reaction score
Sorry the little pic of 69 eyes slipped in, I didnt know how to delete on edit without deleting all the other pics, if admin can just delete the little pic of the 69 eyes I would appreciate that.

Thank you very much :D

Cinder

Reaction score
The Fuzztones? Very good :D

Yes you looooovvvrreee the Chesterfield Kings :D you know this is a band you need to take me to see lol :D

They are very very good :D

xx
Ooh and and some Thunderbirds in there also I saw lol.

You know youre a 'Closet Rocker' lol :p xxx

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
My wardrobes full of blackmail paisley shirts ! .....I guess im waiting for the next psychedelic revival haha [ er not worn them in a while...not since Martin did his "Afterglow"Psychedelic nights with the HAWKWIND light show]
In the 80/90s some of the gothic bands THE MISSION +THE CULT wore paisley..........................not forgetting some of my favourite bands....THE CHURCH + LIME SPIDERS

The psychedelic revival was already happening in Australia in the early 80s

groooooooooooooovy shirts :lmao:

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online