The Paisley Underground thread !!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
The Paisley Underground is a genre of alternative psychedelic rock based primarily in Los Angeles..California which was most popular in the mid 80s.
Influenced by 60s psychedelic/garage bands it spawned some influential groups like RAIN PARADE,DREAM SYNDICATE,GREEN ON RED,THE LONG RYDERS,THE FUZZTONES etc.......with only THE BANGLES gaining any major mainstream success

So I will start with one of my faves from this era..the mighty

RAIN PARADE

Formed 1981 around the talents of Matt Piucci [guitars/vocals] and brothers Dave and Steven Roback.Released debut self financed single 82.
Dave Roback left to form OPAL..[then later MAZZY STAR]The rest of the band continued to record as a 4 piece. The LP "Emergency third rail power trip" and the excellent mini album "Explosions in the glass palace" were released in 83 and 84.Both were successful in the UK indie album charts reachjng no 4 and no 5.This was rewarded by a major record deal with Island records.Unfortunately sales slumped and the band split 1986. Years later RAIN PARADE are still being talked about
This track "no easy way down" is one of my favourite tracks from the 80s......I just love that vibrato guitar and keyboards so trippy and hypnotic!!

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am googling Paisley.......I never heard of this underground movement before!

Notable Paisley Underground bands (per Wiki)

28th Day
Absolute Grey
The Bangles
The Chesterfield Kings
Danny and Dusty
Dream Syndicate
The Eyes of Mind
The Fuzztones
Flower Quartet
Flying Color
Game Theory
Gravedigger Five
Green on Red
The Green Pajamas
Grey Bouquet
House of Freaks
The Long Ryders
The Lost Patrol
The Morlocks
Opal
The Pandoras
Rain Parade
Rainy Day (band)
The Spoilers
Thin White Rope
The Three O'Clock
True West
The Untold Fables
The Verge
The Fegs

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
That is a great list.....MAGIC...let me say there are some great undiscovered gems in that list........which has inspired me to start this thread!!!!:grinthumb
THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS are one of my fave bands at the moment.....and they are still going strong!!!:bow:
some of the bands from the Paisley Underground....caused more of a stir in the UK.....than in the States...of course we all love THE BANGLES

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Here are some gems from the list Magic :grinthumb

THE UNTOLD FABLES From Southern California circa 1988 ,based round band member Robert Butler........If anyone has any recordings of this band Im well jealous!

THE MORLOCKS Originally from San Diego California formed 1984. This group "love"to play live and are still going strong! This summer they have an impressive tour that also takes them to Europe....Spain,Italy,France,Portugal. The band feature ex Gravedigger 5 vocalist Leighton Koizumi. Rolling Stones,The Yardbirds,MC5 influences here............:D

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE THREE O CLOCK.....Previously named THE SALVATION ARMY but because of obvious lawsuits a name change was due. It is said that it was vocalist/bassman Mike Quercio who coined the phrase "The Paisley underground". THE THREE O CLOCK had reasonably success and airplay due to their commercial psychedelic pop sound.Recording albums on Frontier,IRS and PRINCEs Paisley park records.They split in 1988 Quercio later recording albums with PERMANENT GREEN LIGHT and THE JUPITER EFFECT

As AUSTIN POWERS would say..............GROOOOOOOVY

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was listening to your videos, LOU, and Rain Parade is a trip! A good bottle of wine and I would be set !

Three 0'Clock is like you said "groovy"....not my cup-o-tea, though. There is just something about the music from that time period that seems "dated". Like they all had a Beatles influence or something.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
TRUE WEST ...........Gained attention in 1982 with their cover of Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd song "Lucifer Sam". Featuring vocalist Gavin Blair and the clever twin lead guitar interplay of Richard Mcgrath and Russ Tolman.
They promised so much ...released the album "Drifters". Toured with R.E.M..!! Tom Verlaine of TELEVISION took them to record demos for EMI.Even Rolling Stone magazine raved about them.......but a major deal eluded them and split up. Russ Tolman went on to recordnumerous solo Lps

FLYING COLOR............ I know nothing of this band... I think they only released one album...sound good..nice guitars great vocal harmonies...

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
DREAM SYNDICATE............Highly regarded band from L.A.Active from 81 to 89.Various line up changes over the years,based around singer/guitarist Steve Wynn.Recorded debut album"The days of wine and roses" in 82. in later years they used the talents of Sandy Pearlman[ Blue oyster cult/The Clash] behind the mixing desk.Toured with U2 and REM.After the break up Steve Wynn went solo

ABSOLUTE GREY

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE BANGLES...........Cant believe there is no thread about this marvellous band here on CRF.
Formed 1980 featuring Susanna Hoffs:heybaby:,Vicki and Debbi Peterson. Other members..Annette Zilinskas[left 83] and Micki Steele[left 2005]
In 81....released debut single on their own label [bet this is a real collectors]
in 82....signed to Miles Copelands label Faulty products
By the times the albums were released THE BANGLES became huge international stars with bestselling singles like "walk like an egyptian" "eternal flame" etc The rest is history....with Hoffs going solo...the band reforming for an album

I love the first video.....with Leonard Nimoy in ...how cool is that!!!!

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Some top tunes on here Lou and yeah the Bangles were sound ..

I want to be in that room.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online