OutlawsBandLogo.jpg

TheOutlawsBandpicture.jpg

Original Lineup

Hughie Thomasson - Vocals & Guitar
Henry Paul - Vocals & Guitar
Billy Jones - Guitarist
Bassist - Henry O'Keefe
Drummer - Monte Yoho

Let's talk about another Southern rock band, formed in 1972 in Tampa Florida "The Outlaws'. While never achieving the heights of Skynyrd or the Allman brothers band, The Outlaws combined a hard driving southern rock sound with vocal harmonies worthy of the Eagles, the result was a winning combination that gave them their own unique sound. I never really got into this band until I bought "In The Eye Of The Storm" in 1979, and I only picked it up because of the hit song "Ghost Riders in the Sky", the guitar on that song just grabbed me. But over the last couple of years I have picked up three of their albums and I firmly believe this band should have been a bigger success. They went through numerous line-up changes over the years, Hughie Thomasson was the only original member who remained in the band for the duration.

Here's the song that got me interested, Ghost Riders in the Sky.(This vid is from the movie that came out a few years ago with Nicholas Cage.)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The Outlaws

Awesome and underrated southern rock band, LG. I have a ton of memories wrapped up in this bands music.

I know everyone has heard my "lose it chair" story.......where I am drunk and sit in this chair that anyone who has been drinking gets sick in....well that happened to the tune of "Green Grass and High Tides" which just happens to occupy the entire side 2 of The Outlaws self-titled debut album from 1975.

album-outlaws.jpg

Green Grass and High Tides is the most popular song by The Outlaws, and a long song, too........clocking in at almost 10 minutes in length. Other highlights of the debut album:

The vocal harmonies on this song are really good, The Outlaws were known for their harmonies

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The version of "Ghost Riders In The Sky" I'm most familiar with LG is Johnny Cash's so I just can't sit right with that vocalist singing it. It doesn't feel right to me without a deeper voice! :heheh: I read that there are over 50 versions of it so I wonder what model the rest of the versions take after! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^According to their hard core fans, their first album is their best overall. I have that one now and it's a Japanese SHM version as well...:D I remember you telling me Green Grass and High Tides had a special meaning for you Magic. ;)

I like Johnny's version but the guitars on The Outlaws take are the best of all the covers I've heard over the years Sooty, when you played it on your stereo the effect was just breathtaking, at least that is how I remember it.:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I like Johnny's version but the guitars on The Outlaws take are the best of all the coves I've heard over the years, when you played it on your stereo the effect was just breathtaking, at least that is how I remember it.:grinthumb

Yeah, I was going to comply that the guitar work was more versatile but the song seemed more like a storyteller song to me so I guess I'd be more drawn to vocals for it! :grinthumb The group doesn't sound bad to me as I'm listening to the rest of it. It reminds me of music I grew up listening to and enjoying like Alabama and Restless Heart but The Outlaws are more rock than they were even though all of them seem to mix rock and country. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You know I liked Alabama too, but I never bought any of their albums...I can't say why except I was not really collecting anything when they were big. But you are right the Outlaws have more in common with Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet than Alabama, but thanks for stopping by Sooty.:hab:

Reaction score

Lady In Waiting is my favorite album from the Outlaws, then their debut..

album-lady-in-waiting.jpg

Breaker, Breaker
South Carolina
Ain't So Bad
Freeborn Man
Girl From Ohio
Loverboy
Just For You
Prisoner
Stick Around For Rock N Roll

This album is solid all the way through:grinthumb
Very upbeat, but it also has a nice, relaxed sense to many of the songs..

There Goes Another Love Song was the tune that got me into them, and I have their debut and Bring it Back Alive on vinyl:grinthumb
album-bring-it-back-alive.jpg

CLASIKROKR

Reaction score

Two of my favorite Outlaws songs that haven't been posted.

Green Grass And High Tides, love those 20 min "70's" jams!!

Hurry Sundown

Fever

Reaction score

Great band-I saw them in concert back in 1979 with Poco,Van Halen and Boston.The Outlaws were the closing band

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That's going back, and kind of surprising they were the closing band considering the line-up Fever.

Nice to see some love for this old band.:cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online