The Offspring (Official Thread)

Reaction score
57270-bigthumbnail.jpg

Of course I really should be doing school work right now:rolleyes:

but I'd say you folks here at CRF and The Offspring are a bit more interesting than finding the zeros of functions....

The Offspring Official Website

Albums:
The Offspring (1989)
Ignition (1992)
Smash (1994)
Ixnay on the Hombre (1997)
Americana (1998)
Conspiracy of One (2000)
Splinter (2003)
Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace (2008)
Days Go By (2012)

I have a great number of memories listening to Offspring, I have been listening to them since 5th grade when I really found rock music for the first time, AC/DC was the first band, and Offspring was soon to follow, I found out about them from Fuse on tv when they used to play good stuff after school, and instantly loved it, they played "Pretty Fly(For A White Guy)" and the video was hilarioius, but even more so something with their sound just caught my attention... late on in middle school I found myself venturing into the punk scene of the school and well, most of my classes were spent listening to an ipod that I wired the headphones through my sleeves, when my hair was long enough I could just use ear buds and go up my shirt, but when it wasn't I'd put the headphone through my sleeve and lean my head on my hand, anyways, I don't think a class went by I didn't listen to "Why Don't You Get A Job" or "The Kids Aren't Alright" On that note, time for some history,
They are a great straight forward rock n roll, punk rock band, unbelievably catchy songs, driving energy without being too fast or brutal, they even slow it down sometimes and whip out the acoustics, but damn it, they keep the energy running high!
They started in 1984 in southern California. their original name was Manic Subsidal, Dexter Holland(guitarist) and Greg Kreisel(bassist) decided to form the band after being kicked out of a Social Distortion**Another one of my favorite:tongue:** concert. Those two aforementioned members went to highschool together, and asked their school janitor to join the band. Kevin "Noodles" Wasserman the janitor was welcomed mostly(according to wikipedia) because he was old enough to buy them beer. The band used Thompson's friend, Jim Benton, as their drummer. Thompson was eventually forced out of the band, while Benton left. This led to Holland taking over on vocals, and James Lilja joining as the drummer. The band changed their name to "The Offspring" in 1985.
n 1986, the band released their first single; the 7" "I'll Be Waiting/Blackball". They released the single on their self-made Black Label record company, which was named after the brand of beer named Black Label. Lilja quit shortly after the release to pursue a medical career in gynecology--Ron Welty replaced him, he was 16 at the time.
The Offspring signed a record deal with a small-time label, Nemesis Records. Then in March 1989, the band teamed up with producer Thom Wilson (of Dead Kennedys, Social Distortion and The Vandals fame) to record their first self titled album.
They released most of their material and did their most successful touring from 1991 to 2005, during that time they released
Ignition (1992)
Smash (1994)
Ixnay on the Hombre (1997)
Americana (1998)
Conspiracy of One (2000)
Splinter (2003)
They released their latest album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace in 2008
Americana is my favorite album, I think that really epitomized The Offspring's sound. I'm not 100% on this, but I have heard rumours of a new album some time this year(2010) don't quote my on that though....
*In 2005, the band released a Greatest Hits album in both DualDisc and regular CD editions. Greatest Hits contains 14 of the band's hits between Smash and Splinter, and two previously unreleased songs, "Can't Repeat" and "Next to You" (a cover of The Police) (a hidden track). The compilation does not contain any material from the first album and Ignition. The DualDisc contains video of Dexter and Noodles discussing the band's history and a bonus acoustic version of the song "Dirty Magic." About a month later, the band released a video DVD with all of their music videos, and some videos from a live show.

During the summer of 2005, the band played the Vans Warped Tour for the first time, and followed that with a tour of Europe and Japan. After the "Greatest Hits" world tour the band took a break from writing, recording and touring. During the hiatus, Willard was recruited by Tom DeLonge for his band Angels & Airwaves and released an album, We Don't Need to Whisper, in 2006.*
*from wikipedia*
time for some music

The Kids Aren't Alright

Self Esteem

Want You Bad

discuss and hopefully enjoy:heheh::grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Offspring

I have "Smash" and "Americana" by these guys. I was really surprised when I first played their music and some knowledgeable fans rec'd those two CD's as their best work, and I like them both.:tup:

Oblivion

Reaction score

:) The kids aren't allright was my introduction to punk and I have been an offspring fan ever since.
Americana and smash being my fav. albums.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I was actually thinking about making an Offspring thread one of these, so now I don't have to. ;)

The Offspring are one of my favorite bands (top 10, seriously) so I'm glad that other people like them too.
With the release of "Smash" The Offspring almost single handed revived punk rock in the early 90's. I say "almost single handed" because Green Day's "Dookie" was released the same year and helped quite a bit, though "Smash" outsold it and holds the record for the highest selling independent album of all time.
The first song I ever heard by The Offspring was "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)", but at the time I thought it was fun but I never perused them really. It wasn't until I heard "Self Esteem" and "All I Want" that I really got interested in them and have been a fan for years ever since, with "Americana" being my favorite though I honestly love all of their albums.
I was lucky enough to see them live this past summer with The Dropkick Murphys (just for the record, you don't know what a mosh pit is until you go to a Dropkick Murphy concert. Their fans are very large and very drunk.) and they were one of the best live bands I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in person, second only to Alice Cooper. They sounded exactly like they do on their studio albums, if not better. Their concert was also the closest I've ever been to the stage before (I was in the second row of people for most of the concert) and during the closing song of their encore ("Self Esteem") I was hit the face by a flying shoe that I have no idea where it came from.

Here are some faves of mine:

Bad Habit

Stuff Is Messed Up

All I Want

Also I feel the need to ask: If my mom (a woman who listens almost exclusively to country) really enjoys The Offspring does that mean they have to forfeit their punk rock card?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time for some pictures in EB's thread.

Here's the first album OB rec'd to me "Smash".

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Aaaaah nostalgia! :grinthumb I honestly don't hate their more poppy stuff from Americana on but honestly I think they jumped the shark after Smash! Besides Self Esteem, which has been listed, I love the other singles:

Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated)

Gotta Get Away

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Offspring have a number of tunes that I like. Not big on overall albums, but they had some good singles.

Compared to bands like say, Green Day, I like The Offspring a TON more.

Reaction score

Offspring have a number of tunes that I like. Not big on overall albums, but they had some good singles.

Compared to bands like say, Green Day, I like The Offspring a TON more.

I don't get why Offspring is compared to Green Day so often?... the only thing is really the time they both came out... aside from that I see almost no similarity in their music...they have the common ground of "let's play some fast music, party, and not take it seriously at all" but the offspring is so much heavier than GD, and their songs are much more in depth(most of them), and I think as a group they are just heavier people...Not to take anything away from Green Day... I have Warning, and Dookie on cassette and still listen to them a good amount, but they are no where near as intense, they seem to be more about 'fun" music, but Offsprings is more serious (most of the time)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Bands like Offspring, Limp Bizkit and Green Day did very little or better NOTHING AT ALL to innovate music in the years :):)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online