The Official World's End Girlfriend Thread

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
worlds_end_girlfriend.jpg

World's End Girlfriend is the solo project of Katsuhiko Maeda, and since 2000 he has created 9 albums. At the age of 10, Katsuhiko was inspired by his father's collection of classical music, and he started composing his own songs two years later using guitars and keyboards, recorded on tapes and computers. He has since written over 600 songs, as well as composing the soundtrack for "Air Doll", a Japanese drama movie.

The musical style of World's End Girlfriend is quite unique, there are elements of classical, electronica, post-rock and experimental, but it is largely a style of it's own. Song lengths will often stretch for 15 minutes or more, and every one of them is instrumental. I would personally describe it as "A beautiful, chaotic, masterful, cataclysm". It is certainly not for every ear, and it can often be extremely challenging to listen to, but for the adventurous soul it can be very rewarding. World's End Girlfriend's songs are just as packed with emotion and ambiance as they are with jarring crashes and screaming instruments. The end result is a seemingly impossible contrast, but it all seems to work. World's End Girlfriend also tours constantly and all over the world, bringing the music to life with various technologies.

The albums are:

Ending Story (2000):
20090212173308.jpg

Farewell Kingdom (2001):
f0009459_16515719.jpg

Xmas Song (2001) (Released under the name World's End Boyfriend):
0000012226.1291263573orig.jpg

Dream's End Come True (2002):
Cover_4.jpg

Enchanted Landscape Escape (2002):
514VneBi4lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Lie Lay Land (2005):
1284903777_worlds-end-girlfriend-the-lie-lay-land.jpg

Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain (2006) (Collaboration with Mono):
2792072118_466c4d34b1.jpg

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Hurtbreak Wonderland (2007):
o440010.jpg

Seven Idiots (2010):
ld%E2%80%99s+End+Girlfriend+%E2%80%93+Seven+Idiots.jpg

And finally, some of the actual music itself:

As you can hopefully see by now, this man is truly an artist, and his attention to detail is staggering both visually on the album covers and musically in his compositions. I am blown away by his music, and I hope this thread does him justice! :grinthumb

Harkat

Reaction score
Oh his stuff most certainly is unique, it has a bit of this and that but it melds them all into something quite amazing.
Sometimes it sounds absolutely serene then next moment its just chaos! Beautiful ordered chaos!
Someone who you just must listen to at least once!

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Interesting music.

Almost seems as if it would be used as a film soundtrack or something, if that makes sense. Anyway, that's what I'm getting from it. Not sure if I like it yet or not, may need to listen to a bit more to formulate an opinion :heheh:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
His music is very cinematic indeed, possibly due to his classical and post-rock influences. Some of it was featured in another Japanese movie "Late Bloomer" in 2004 as well as his composition for Air Doll. It's really just grand and epic music! :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This stuff is pretty odd and different. We Are The Massacre is pretty cool!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
:bump:

^^ I listened to We Are The Massacre just then, it's definitely one of his more beautiful compositions. I also find it to have a bit of a haunting quality to it, the screams in the background add to a dark atmosphere. I love it though! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
This band is going onto my last.fm station. As soon as I started We Are The Massacre, I knew I was going to love it. Post Rock is truly a unique genre, but sounds amazing if it's done right. And this is definitely done right.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Humpty Bumpty!

Been listening to WEG a bit more recently, and his music only gets better with time. I even kitted out my profile with some edited live pictures I found! :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online