Royal Hunt (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Discography:​
Time for another band from the Continent, and one of the gems I stumbled across by accident over two years ago. I am talking about "Royal Hunt", a progressive rock band formed in 1991 when keyboard player/songwriter Andre Andersen emigrated from Russia and joined up with Danish musicians Herick Brockman/vocals, Steen Morgenson/bass guitar and Kenneth Olsen/drums and then session guitarist Jacob Kjaer joined the band full time. However that line-up did not last long and Andre Andersen is the only original member left. He was a child prodigy, started playing piano at the age of 5. He can pretty much play any instrument now, and reminds me of Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon fame. Anyway I still consider Royal Hunt to be a Danish band so that is how I am going to classify them.

I now have 5 of their albums, and I like the keyboards especially they remind me a bit of another band I grew up with Saga, but with their own unique flavor.

Here's the title track of their first album.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I played this to a mate at the weekend LG, we were both impressed and are gonna look further into the band. Great stuff :grinthumb.

Running Wild

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hey nice to see you giving them a chance Sox.:D There is a definite progression in the band, as they move forward from the first album, due to the wholesale line-up changes they become a little more mellow especially the vocals but I really like them. There is something about a keyboard dominated band that I enjoy, seeing they are by far the minority in rock music as a rule.:cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The second album "Clown in the Mirror" released in 1995 has a more progressive rock feel than the debut. I can't really say much more until I play this one a couple more times, it's the one problem with a massive library, to keep the old stuff relevant and add to it while trying to keep a balance.:grinthumb

On the Run.

Clown In The Mirror

RoyalHuntClownintheMirrorFront.jpg

RoyalHuntClownintheMirrorBack.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I am just getting to grips with this band LG since your intro so I don't know so much .. but I really like this track.:grinthumb

Royal Hunt - Surrender

I like "On The Run", you posted infact this band are growing on me more and more.

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
They sound cool to me LG !Always good to check out"new"bands. I guess nowadays this band would be put in the symphonic metal section. i can like you spot a similarity to SAGA.....keyboard oriented rock.....I have one of their albums somewhere [maybe you should do a thread]

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hey some quality company in here again.:D

I do have a Saga thread LOU, so I'll dust it off today.

That is a good song Sox, I'll do the next album later this morning.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...:heheh:

Well Andersen does have Long hair Thumper, and he does play in a band...:cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Moving right along, "Moving Target" released in 1996 and another great display of classical/prog rock being combined that has to rank Royal Hunt right up there with other Symphonic/Prog bands. The more I play these albums the more I respect Andersen's abilities, they have to be my favorite Danish band by a mile...although that is a pretty small group of bands, numbering 2 the last time I checked.:D

The Last Goodbye

IMG_1034.jpeg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online