Register to remove these ads

The Official Royal Hunt Thread

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by LG, Apr 3, 2010.

1. LG

LG Fade To Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for another band from the Continent, and one of the gems I stumbled across by accident over two years ago. I am talking about "Royal Hunt", a progressive rock band formed in 1991 when keyboard player/songwriter Andre Andersen emigrated from Russia and joined up with Danish musicians Herick Brockman/vocals, Steen Morgenson/bass guitar and Kenneth Olsen/drums and then session guitarist Jacob Kjaer joined the band full time. However that line-up did not last long and Andre Andersen is the only original member left. He was a child prodigy, started playing piano at the age of 5. He can pretty much play any instrument now, and reminds me of Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon fame. Anyway I still consider Royal Hunt to be a Danish band so that is how I am going to classify them.

I now have 5 of their albums, and I like the keyboards especially they remind me a bit of another band I grew up with Saga, but with their own unique flavor.

[​IMG]

Here's the title track of their first album.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

I played this to a mate at the weekend LG, we were both impressed and are gonna look further into the band. Great stuff :grinthumb.

Running Wild

3. LG

LG Fade To Black

Hey nice to see you giving them a chance Sox.:D There is a definite progression in the band, as they move forward from the first album, due to the wholesale line-up changes they become a little more mellow especially the vocals but I really like them. There is something about a keyboard dominated band that I enjoy, seeing they are by far the minority in rock music as a rule.:cheers:

4. LG

LG Fade To Black

The second album "Clown in the Mirror" released in 1995 has a more progressive rock feel than the debut. I can't really say much more until I play this one a couple more times, it's the one problem with a massive library, to keep the old stuff relevant and add to it while trying to keep a balance.:grinthumb

On the Run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

I am just getting to grips with this band LG since your intro so I don't know so much .. but I really like this track.:grinthumb

Royal Hunt - Surrender

I like "On The Run", you posted infact this band are growing on me more and more.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  6. LOU/REALM

LOU/REALM Senior Member

They sound cool to me LG !Always good to check out"new"bands. I guess nowadays this band would be put in the symphonic metal section. i can like you spot a similarity to SAGA.....keyboard oriented rock.....I have one of their albums somewhere [maybe you should do a thread]

7. LG

LG Fade To Black

Hey some quality company in here again.:D

I do have a Saga thread LOU, so I'll dust it off today.

That is a good song Sox, I'll do the next album later this morning.

8. Slip'nn2Darkness

Slip'nn2Darkness Sub Sonic Soul Shaker

Are they a "Hair Band" LG?? ;) :bonk:

9. LG

LG Fade To Black

...:heheh:

Well Andersen does have Long hair Thumper, and he does play in a band...:cheers:

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

Moving right along, "Moving Target" released in 1996 and another great display of classical/prog rock being combined that has to rank Royal Hunt right up there with other Symphonic/Prog bands. The more I play these albums the more I respect Andersen's abilities, they have to be my favorite Danish band by a mile...although that is a pretty small group of bands, numbering 2 the last time I checked.:D

The Last Goodbye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]