The Official "Mindless Self Indulgence" Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Mindless Self Indulgence

mindless_self_indulgence_626x352.jpg

This group definitely isn't for everybody so that's why they're in here! :heheh: I really think they're great though and they are definitely a burst of energy! They music has an eccentric punk attitude that you can move to! If I was going to make up a genre title for them I'd just call them Dance Metal!

Anyway, I saw these guys at the Projekt Revolution Tour headlined by Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance! Out of all the bands there these guys definitely got my attention more than anything else and they weren't even on the main stage.

The lead singer is crazy (his stage name is Jimmy Urine if that says anything :heheh:)! He has a vocal style that is high pitched and yelpy is the best way I can describe it. It fits the fast and furious style perfectly though and live they are impossibly more energetic than on c.d.!

So I don't have the complete catalog but these are the ones I'm experienced with and will be contributing songs from! If anyone has examples from other c.d.s feel free to add in!

This is for all vids as they are definitely a crude band so no surprises:

:ec:

Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy
76781921_small.jpg
(This c.d. is made of very short tracks that stick together for one big fast crazy experience)

Cocaine and Toupees

Bitches

You'll Rebel To Anything
album-youll-rebel-to-anything.jpg

(I like this album much better than the last)

Shut Me Up
(like this video)

Tom Sawyer
(I'm getting lynch mobbed for this :lmao:)

Straight to Video

If
B0016AK3DW.jpg
(my favorite c.d. by these guys)

Lights Out
(LOVE this song! My favorite from them!)

Mastermind

Revenge

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
To keep my non trolling score perfect I'm going to stay far far away from this thread. ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
To keep my non trolling score perfect I'm going to stay far far away from this thread. ;)

I'm a little surprised by that Cosmic. I listen to these guys in the same mood I'd be in for a little crazy Darkness music! :heheh: I also remember you liking Gogol Bordello which seems to be equally eccentric and crazy as these guys. Anyway, IMO there is no such thing as trolling in my threads as long as there's something productive said and it's said by someone who's listen to at least a decent portion of the songs! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well I'm just full of surprises aren't I? :D Crazy and eccentric and wacky and whatnot isn't an free ride to my heart.

I actually used to own "Frankenstein Girls..." and later "You'll Rebel To Anything" (I have since sold them for some quick cash) so I'm pretty familiar with their work. I listened to them before Projekt Rev gave them all that exposure as a matter of fact and I would never say that I was a "fan" of their work since I thought Jimmy Urine's voice was kind of annoying and really I'm not that big of a fan of electronic-y music, but I still liked them enough to listen and pick up two of their CD's.

(((This is where things take a turn)))

HOWEVER while I was in high school there were a small collection of bands that were nearly universally popular of universally hated (kind of like Twilight) which were Green Day (who, by my senior year everyone decided to wine about), Muse, Tokio Hotel, Owl City, The Jonas Brothers, and others. The two most popular popular of these bands were Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance (both of which I was a bigger fan of before being overexposed) so when Projekt Rev came to around of course many of me "peers" went to it (I wanted to at the time but couldn't afford it) and it was at that event they all discovered a little band named Mindless Self Indulgence.

Next thing I know all of the alternative/emo kids are dancing to MSI and soon after all of the dance pop/rap kids are dancing to MSI and their music was driven into my brain with the delicateness of a cordless power drill in my ear and it became that a band that once only I knew about in a group of 2000+ and was only a casual fan at best was now echoing, on a nearly constant basis, through my ears for the latter half of my high school career.

Now perhaps I enjoyment for this band could have survived but kids these days have no concept of what an album is and no idea what a band's catalog is. What they do know is songs that a lot of other people listen to and those particular songs were "Stupid MF", "Straight To Video", and the worst offending of all and what used to be my favorite song by MSI "Shut Me Up". On a rare occasion "Bitches" or "I Hate Jimmy Page" would work their way in there but what would happen is that one person would listen to the three formerly mention songs a LOT with two friends and then those two friends would listen to those songs EVEN MORE with their own two friends and so on and so on and so on.

And over this stretch of time those small annoyances I had with Mindless Self Indulgence grew like a fungus fuel by my overexposure and that is where my current sentiments on this band have come from.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
You know with a collection as big as mine...and all the new sounds I check out it amazes me how some things slip through the cracks.

I have to say that I kinda enjoyed this. That Lights Out tune was pretty whacky. I understand Cosmic, you saying how you can get burned out by things with it being overexposed or shoved down your throat either through radio or a group of people.

I never worry about that stuff. I'm a big Metal lovin' guy with a Beatles fixation right? :heheh:

I have alot of Metal purists types who laugh if I say I like My Chemical Romance...I don't really care. I don't think of it as Emo or Not Emo or whatever.

I fell in love with The Black Parade because it has good songs, good melodies, cool production. Overall just hook after hook.

As far as MSI goes?? This is the first time I really got to hear these guys and I'm intrigued enough to go check it out. To me it's something different.

Are they really big with the Emo crowd? Hmmmm.....

Who cares...:heheh: :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I've got to add something to this since it's kind of gone on a tangent and made me think about things. One thing I can say about your description Cosmic is that it's way more constructive than most I see and that you actually gave perspective on your views. One thing I think is a goal of mine when listening to music is that for me I never stop liking an artist I like at any time otherwise it means I listen to the artist for the wrong reasons in the first place. I don't care if I was young and liked New Kids On The Block, Paula Abdul or M.C. Hammer. I own two of those right now. Fun stuff still! I also never base it on social groups. I mean if I did I'd never listen to half my bands. I listen to everything like I'm the only one in the world listening to it for the first time. I either like it or I don't based on how it comes through my ears. When I'm listening to it it's not like Teenyboppers or Punks or Goths or Emo kids are going to magically appear at my door! :heheh: It's just me! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
One thing I can say about your description Cosmic is that it's way more constructive than most I see and that you actually gave perspective on your views.

Thank you. I aimed to let you see what it was like in my shoes. :)

I also never base it on social groups. I mean if I did I'd never listen to half my bands. I listen to everything like I'm the only one in the world listening to it for the first time. I either like it or I don't based on how it comes through my ears. When I'm listening to it it's not like Teenyboppers or Punks or Goths or Emo kids are going to magically appear at my door! :heheh: It's just me! :grinthumb

I look at it in the same way but you know....things are different when you are in high school. We're you're stuck in that building for four years you get exposed (or in some cases OVERexposed) to things whether you want to or not.

I just never really understood how everyone else could listen to the exact same thing all the time and no one but me would be sick of it. That confused me back then and still dumbfounds me now. With so many different kinds of music out there for anyone to restrict themselves to one style or genre or (god forbid) song just seem completely foolish to me and a waste. They should branch out, explore. What do they have to lose? If they don't like something then they don't have to listen to it again, but they should at least approach it with an open mind. :rolleyes:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I guess being trapped in the halls of high school can do that. Now that I think about it I had similar problems being burnt out on tunes when I was in H.S.

You'd get something like Back In Black when it came out and then every kid had a Back In Black T-shirt on and blasting it out of boom boxes, and knew very little about the Bon Scott years or groups of kids that were not into them at all earlier on.

That includes all the girls who would be, "Ewwwww"...now they're running down the halls singing Shook Me All Night Long and NEVER stop singing it. All of a sudden cheerleaders using AC/DC songs for pep rallies...you know... :bonk: :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Thank you. I aimed to let you see what it was like in my shoes. :)

I look at it in the same way but you know....things are different when you are in high school. We're you're stuck in that building for four years you get exposed (or in some cases OVERexposed) to things whether you want to or not.

I just never really understood how everyone else could listen to the exact same thing all the time and no one but me would be sick of it. That confused me back then and still dumbfounds me now. With so many different kinds of music out there for anyone to restrict themselves to one style or genre or (god forbid) song just seem completely foolish to me and a waste. They should branch out, explore. What do they have to lose? If they don't like something then they don't have to listen to it again, but they should at least approach it with an open mind. :rolleyes:

Understandable, but I was lucky enough to either be a loner who set the trends in a small way or found friends with eclectic taste. The only time I felt rebellious against music was the boy bands and from experience I feel foolish about it now. Screw it, I actually have a track or two from each I like now! :grinthumb

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Whoa my god.

These guys are freaking weird.

I've never decided my feelings about them.

My ex introduced me to MSI when we were together (so they hold a negative stigma with me, but that's beyond the point) and I remember kind of being intrigued, disturbed, and confused all at the very same time.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online