The most influential of these two albums is:

• The Number Of The Beast

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Script For A Jester's Tear

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
As far as Marillion here in N.A., they were irrelevent. What little airplay/recognisation they did recieve was at U.S. north-east college campuses.

As far as the U.K. they did have somewhat of influence as other neo-prog artists followed in thier footsteps. I would say a "cult" status. "Underground". They basically recycled the sound/style of Genesis and added the element of the mainstream/commercial pop/rock of the day. As some of the giant prog artists of the '70's dragged in AOR's sorry azz into the '80's fell in the line to cater to the music video revolution thus joined the top 40 club. Marillion tried to keep the prog flame burning with very little success, if any.

I have no idea what influence they did have in western Europe(?).

Seems to me that Marillion actually garned some attention not until 20 years later. In fact it was years after until I heard of the sub-genre neo-prog and Marillion.

NWOBHM had a underground following here in N.A. in 1980 and 1981 with such releases as Maiden's first two albums and thier EP, Angel Witch's s/t debut and Diamond Head's, Lightning To The Nations and a few others as well. It wasn't until 1982's The Number Of The Beast that busted the barriers down, at least here in N.A. The rest is history.

The Number Of The Beast has to be one of the most influential albums in the history of metal IMO. I wouldn't say any of Marillion's albums would even come close to be placed in the category of one of prog's most influential albums.

Really no comparison IMO.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Marillion for me, I love Maiden but always consider Judas Priest to be a more groundbreaking band when it comes to NWOBHM.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online