The Murder of My Sweet - Divanity (2010)

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
The Murder of My Sweet
Divanity (2010)
Frontiers Records
Produced by: Daniel Flores

TheMurderOfMySweerDivanityCover.jpg

For the Genre: ***** (5/5)
Compared to the Era: ***** (5/5)

Summary: 2000s-style production, 1980s-style hooks—100% METAL.

You can’t go wrong with Swedish Metal whether it’s the incomparable Kee Marcelo from Europe or the legendary Yngwie J. Malmsteen, they took what we were doing in L.A. and took it to a whole new level of technical proficiency, sonic clarity and musical intensity with classically-influenced passages and Divanity is no exception to this.

On their debut album, The Murder of My Sweet unleashes its brutal assault with “No Evil” which comes with all of the face-melting fury of a mid-2000s American metal record but with the audio excellence for which European hard rock has come to be known. Drums with balls, and understated yet appropriately-mixed guitar tracks support the cinematic orchestral section that provides the epic feeling you are watching a Hollywood Blockbuster. “Follow the Rain” is the foot-stomping, fist-pumping head-banger that I’ve yearned for since “Bring me to Life” by Evanescence. I’ve been so addicted to this song, I’ve been playing it at least 3-4 times a day, every day, for a week. You just have to hear it to understand why.

The only problem I had with the product was Frontiers’ choice to go with a silly-looking DigiPak. These things are probably suitable for press kits or other promotional materials that might be included as part of a magazine issue. However, in my opinion a full-length, retail release should never be packaged like this. They do, however, make up for this by providing an enhanced CD, which includes video from “Bleed Me Dry.” Although, quite frankly, I enjoyed the video of “Follow The Rain” on their official Myspace profile more.

Throughout this record, you will hear shades of everything from Queensrÿche to Queen but this is definitely an album with its own identity. It isn’t rehashed 80s nostalgia, and it isn’t raspy, screamy or whiney.

In short, buy this album. Once you listen to it, you'll know why I said to!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online