The Minute Men

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
The Minutemen

Minutemen%201984.jpg

The Minutemen was an American punk band formed in San Pedro, California in 1980. Guitarist D. Boon, bassist Mike Watt and drummer George Hurley made up the band, they recorded four albums and eight EPs before Boon's death in an automobile accident in December 1985. Their eclectic and experimental attitude was instrumental in pioneering alternative rock.

In 2003, Boon was selected as number 89 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time and the Minutemen's third studio album, Double Nickels on the Dime, was selected as number 411 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.

The song "Corona" (off Double Nickels) was the theme song of the MTV television show Jackass.

In 2000, Watt allowed Volvo to use the Boon instrumental "Love Dance" (from Double Nickels...) in a car ad. Watt's motivation for licensing the song was to use Boon's royalties to pay for to his late father, who was suffering from emphysema. Watt simply refers to the decision as a way for Boon to help his father from beyond the grave.

Kick ass band. It is a shame that Boon died. I would love to have seen these guys.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Good stuff, CN. I had never heard them before. Like what I'm hearing.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online