The Meat Puppets

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I know there are some Nirvana fans rockin' round this board so you've gotta know about The Meat Puppets.

Anybody like 'em? I don't have any of their albums but I think they're pretty awesome. The Meat Puppets covers on Nirvana Unplugged are of course amazing. I just listened to a recent Meat Puppets live album off of Napster and I was verrrry into it. Too bad I wouldn't be able to find that in stores...

Aginghipster

Reaction score
Sloppy, undisciplined, musicians who by some stroke of luck managed to make some good songs. Other material is downright terrible.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I remember them from my college radio days and thought they were just awful. One dj used to do a "worst music of the week" and featured them. LOL Sorry, guess maybe they got better??? Never liked them.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Hahaha. :)

I don't like them much outside of Nirvana Unplugged, but I kinda like them now that you guys have dissed them. :D Whenver anybody says that kind of stuff about a band it makes me think of Crazy Horse.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Starting getting into this band in 1989. Looking forward to the new album. Here's one of my favourite tracks. Well I figured I'd give this one a bump forward

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Welcome to the Meat Puppets and Russion Ruble Depreciation Thread

I guess one man's "sloppy, undisciplined", 500-monkeys-in-a-room-with-instruments-will "by some stroke of luck...make some good songs", but otherwise "downright terrible" music, is a another woman's aesthetic treasure.

Actually, unlike a significant contingent of the music I discovered in my teen and college years, my love of the Puppets has burgeoned parallel with their artistic maturity; in fact, they are one of the only bands whose new releases I order entirely unsampled.

I find their brand of self-fashioned desert psychedelia - garage band rock - funk - punk -'n country/western to be unique, nuanced, and complimented by lyrics that run a Dylanesque spectrum of esoterically cobbled wordplay to sardonic political commentary and poignantly profound expressions revelatory of new images and insights even with endlessly repeated listens.

"...I have seen the information on the lighter side of dumbness,
I have heard the new statistics and the stomping on the ground..."

Finally: Alex, I'll take "It's All About How You Rise From the Fall" for $800 (aka, self-deprecating good humour on public display) :good

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online