Register to remove these ads

The last (non-music) documentary you watched...

Discussion in 'Movies / Television' started by Vehicle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Vehicle

Vehicle Shinedown Fanboy

I looked and didn't see this anywhere, so I thought maybe we could share some brain food.

This one is fascinating.

[​IMG]

This documentary tells the story of Dick Proenneke who, in the late 1960s, built his own cabin in the wilderness at the base of the Aleutian Peninsula.

He went to stay for a year and ended up staying almost 30, I think. He bulit his cabin,(complete with moss roof) food stands, fireplace, everything, by himself, capturing it all on a 16mm camera.

This guy went up there with only the heads of his tools. He made the handles himself.

Canoed back and forth across either a lake or river, hauliong stones for his fireplace.

His drive is just incredible.

And this one:

[​IMG]

Now, there are a billion docs on this subject, but I can confidently say, this is the best space related documentary you're ever going to see.

It covers the Apollo years.

What sets this one apart from any other, is the fact that the only people in it are the astronauts & Mission Control personnel. There are no narrations, no fanfare, no hoopla.

Just these men telling their stories, and that's it. It's engrossing.

2. Berserker

Berserker Senior Member

The last good one I saw was called "Too Fast To Race" and it was about the audi quattro and Group C Class racing in the 80s. Basically they are f1 cars with fenders hurtling through the trees and ice at earth shattering speeds. There is a lot of talking but the race footage is worth it.

3. ILoveJimmyPage

ILoveJimmyPage Senior Member

"Into the Abyss" by Werner Herzog. Whether you're for or against the death penalty, it is a great show, about condemned prisoner Michael Perry and his accomplice (who was given a life term). Both were involved in a triple homicide in Texas in the 90s in order to steal a car. Very moving documentary, and his miniseries "On Death Row" is just as good. Perry was put to death 8 days after the documentary was made.

4. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

"Armadillo" is a purist observational masterpiece, the story of some young Danish soldiers and their platoon deployed on a tour of Afghanistan. Armadillo is just pure riveting, cliffhanging, stunning live action from beginning frame to end – no voiceover, no narration, not even any interviews. Stunningly shot and dramatically scored, the film has actually been criticized for being ‘too cinematic’! There are sections where sync location sound drops away and all slow motion images play against evocative music to create sheer poetry in the chaos of the warzone – which might be a bit emotionally manipulative but at least you won’t hear any annoying talking! The best of showing rather than telling makes the meditation on war much more profound.

5. Jake T

Jake T Earth-bound Misfit

Welcome to North Korea by Peter Tetteroo and Raymond Feddema. An astonishing look into the lives of North Koreans and their disturbing worship of the country's leader.

6. Vehicle

Vehicle Shinedown Fanboy

I am all over this. Plus, bonus prizes!!

The site where I got Armadillo also has a 9 part doc on Apollo 18. The mother load.

Jackpot!!!
    Giddyup!!!
    Yahtzee!!!
    Goooooaaaalllll!!!!!

Thanks! Mucho appreciado, mi amigo.

7. Tray73

Tray73 இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

I love things like this, will have to watch it :grinthumb

We are currently enjoying Andrew Marr's History of the World on BBC: "Andrew Marr goes on an epic journey through 70,000 years of human history, telling the story of how great forces of nature and individual genius shaped the world we live in today."

8. Vehicle

Vehicle Shinedown Fanboy

Here's a quick snippet:

9. Tray73

Tray73 இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

Yeah I looked it up earlier and watched that clip :grinthumb

10. AboutAGirl

AboutAGirl oh, be nice

I wasn't sure what the last great doc I saw until I read ILJP's mention of Werner Herzog. The last truly great documentary I saw was definitely Grizzly Man! So affecting.

I'm also watching a fake documentary by Herzog tonight about the Loch Ness Monster. Not sure what to expect really but I'm guessing the monster eats them in the end.....