album review

rtbuck

Reaction score
The Last Ditches - Spilt Milk

lastditchesalbummay.jpg

• Audio CD (May 20, 2016)
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Label: Hyperspace Records

Being a fan of Punk, Metal, Hard Rock, & Rock & Roll I'm always looking for something new or different. Recently I was reading an interview with Walter Lure(ex-guitarist for Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers & leader of the Waldos) & he was talking about an upcoming album next year. He then mentioned an album he made with a band called the Last Ditches in 2016. I've always been a huge fan of Johnny Thunders & Walter Lure was part of the Thunders crowd so I had to look into this album. The band features Lure on guitars & vocals, Binky Phillips on guitar & vocals(Binky was the leader of a NYC band called the Planets who frequently played around in the 70's & were known pretty well on the circuit. He's also a writer/contributor for the Huffington Post), Randy Pratt on bass(Randy plays in the Lizards) & rounding out the line-up is drummer Bobby Rondinelli(Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, the Lizards...etc).

Spilt Milk kicks off with kick ass drum intro followed by some wild guitars on Excuse Me which is a good rocker & good tune to kick off the album. "That's What we Do" is a decent rocker featuring Lure on lead vocals & some crazy bass run by Pratt. "Where am I" is another good rocker with a riff going through it that is reminiscent of Zep's "Communication Breakdown". One of the highlights of the album is a remake of the Heartbreakers "I Wanna be Loved" which is heavy on the rhythm of bass & drums. Lure's mellow "I Made a Mess" has a bit of country/blues flavor to it(On his Waldo's Rent Party album he covered Ray Charles' "Busted" & this is kind of in the same vein...actually Nazareth covered "Busted" as well). If there is any tune that is sort of aimed at being a hit it would probably be "I Get That a Lot". "A Thing About you" starts off with some funky rhythm which maintains through most of the song & has some cool funky lead guitar in it. The 13 track album closes with an excellent tune called "Throw the Dog a Bone" sang by Lure.

Overall, it is a decent cd but in my opinion the songs that Lure sang were much better than the tunes with Phillips vocals. Their sound was pretty different with a bit of punkish guitars mixed with a heavy rhythm section.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online