The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (1968)

Tommy Walker

Reaction score
This one is a recent discovery for me. A concept album of sorts that celebrates traditional British culture, it was more of a cult favorite than a hit. The upside to that is that it hasn't really been forgotten over time (most people have never heard of it, but those who have will not let it become a footnote), which is the only reason I stumbled upon it. I think it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the early Beatles/Stones/Who classics. Ray Davies knew what he was doing and was really versatile too. Anyone else have an opinion?

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Re: The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

I have the three disc edition they released a few years back with the out-takes and the Stereo/Mono versions.

It has become my favorite Kink's album lately, hands down. Brilliant song writing.

KingHeadache

Banned
Reaction score

"Something Else By The Kinks" is also great.

Syd

Reaction score

I have only heard good things about this album, but I have never listened to it deeply. Only a few songs that seemed quite good. Maybe when I get in a Kinky mood i'll check it out. Great review!

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
It's my personal favorite from them, and I don't think Ray ever made an album as wacky, as serious, as personal, and memorable again.

One of my favorite tracks is Last Of The Steam-Powered Trains... it shows how the band can be whimsical, catchy, and downright serious. It's got a blues tone and the riff sounds eerily similar to The Animals arrangement of See See Rider.

And I agree that anything made by the Kinks from 66-71 is as good as the peak years of the Beatles, Stones, Who, etc...

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Never heard this album. Have heard it's a good album. I'll give it a listen and let you know what I think when I get a hold of a copy. I do like some of The Kinks music

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
This album is a classic, I too have the 3 disc version, it has, " Berkley Mews " on, the only place you can get it. I love the song writing about English life, it is an absolute belter:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online