Register to remove these ads

The House of Wax

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Sox, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

[​IMG]

I thought being as there has been a kind of resurgence in vinyl interest over the last few years it would be good to have a place to talk wax. Anything that is related ... old/new collections and releases, the real classics and collectors items, those pick ups you remember, those you are after, what you're playing, equipment, shops, fairs ... Anything :).

[​IMG]

2. TheWhalerfan

TheWhalerfan Lovus My Avatarus

Re: The House Of Wax.

A while ago Little Queen was re-released on LP, and I thought it would be a cool thing to add to the mantle. No idea what the new one would sound like..with my luck probably like crap :D Anyway, I was pretty happy about it, and thought I would post the back side as well as the front. One thing I noticed was the amount of work that went into this scene...I am sure the shoot took a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sox

There's a lot going on TW for sure but I'm struggling to take my eyes off the ladies TBH. :) Seeing as you mentioned the cover though, I must admit in my youth I picked a load of albums up on the off chance simply because the cover appealed to me.

[​IMG]

That cover picture kicked off a 30 year love affair with the band for me,:D

4. LG

LG Fade To Black

This thread should be titled "Sox's Little Shop Of Wax"...:heheh:

Don't have much time right now to do a Proper post but I am researching some new analog gear and will be upgrading my TT/Cartridge and going to get an actual stand alone Phono Stage pre-amp for the first time. Saw a Pearler yesterday that will do perfectly.:D

5. Sox

:heheh::peek

As you know LG I picked up some new speakers yesterday and I'd just like to say the place I go, I believe is one of the best in my area and offers some of the fairest deals on HIFI gear in the UK.

[​IMG]

Tried the speakers out with a few cd's and then flicked through the vinyl stash and played "Abbey Road" and "Are You Experienced" ... so far I'm really pleased with the results.:grinthumb

Oh and the speakers are a cracking little pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9 Bookshelf, just right for a small room, plenty enough kick.

[​IMG]

6. LG

LG Fade To Black

Those look very nice Sox...I especially like the cherry or rosewood finish. I vow I am not buying anymore "Black" speakers...:nw: It's bad enough all the AV receivers/amps are black these days I was a little put out when I bought my last two Marantz pieces, England offers them in a Silver finish, but here I could only get them in the ubiquitous Black.:mad

Okay I was meandering through my friends Hi-Fi shop on Saturday and saw a selection of vinyl in the corner, somehow I missed that the last time I was there. So I went through his entire selection and found "Endless Summer" by the Beach Boys in 180 gram audiophile quality vinyl.:bounce:

So I grabbed it and listened to it twice already, such fond memories associated with this album, and it has that warmth that my CD is missing. I have about 50 more I am trying to collect, I don't think I can get all of them brand new like this one but I loved opening the cellophane wrapper, then the gatefold and pulling the records out.

[​IMG]

7. TheWhalerfan

TheWhalerfan Lovus My Avatarus

Wow Sox, what an interesting looking building to shop for audio equipment in. I have always liked old structures and can't wait until I finally get over to the Uk to check some of this stuff out first hand!

8. Sox

LG ... I always liked the gold effect that Marantz did, my first separate component rig was a Marantz set up and I went for the gold ... Looked great.

TW ... I guess it does look old and kind of sedate from the outside but once you get through the doors it's an electrical goods haven. :)

The record fairs at Buxton a great way to spend a morning. I used to go quite often years ago and picked up some sound deals. :grinthumb

[​IMG]

9. architect

architect Supine In The Sunshine

I've been buying Vinyl for years, ever since i was fourteen in fact. When I was young I bought a lot of stuff that I knew I loved, and some stuff that I didn't know, mainly if the cover really appealed to me.

I stopped collecting for a bunch of years and then got back in to it about four or five years ago.

Imagine my surprise years and years later when first I pulled my little record collection out and found that when I was barely old enough to drive, I had bought all these amazing records on the strength of their covers alone. and I never had listened to them! Here's just a handful.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^I've done that myself many times Architect, bought an album just because the cover looked cool. (Sox mentioned that he's guilty of that himself...:heheh:)

I'm in the same boat, I haven't bought vinyl in decades, until last weekend and now I am already preparing my list of "must have" records to order from this tiny little shop I stumbled into literally.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.