The Guano Apes

Oblivion

Reaction score

The Guano Apes

NO%20APES%20-%20Proud%20like%20a%20god%20-%20Front.jpg

Proud like a god was one of the first albums I bought in the alternative rock genre... Aside from some Woodstock albums this music was about the hardest music I used to listen to (so this was even before I started listening to punk and all) The album came out in '97 and it was an instant hit :)

The album name is from the song "open your eyes"
Open your eyes, open your mind
proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
trapped in yourself, break out instead
beat the machine that works in your head

I advise you to play the song right now while you continue reading:

Other than that they made a few more albums (they quit in 2005 after a "best of album") that sprung forth some hits like "big in japan (originally by the band alphaville)" and "no speech".
Also they have some "fun-songs" like "pretty in storm" and "dödel up" (alternatively spelled as doedel up)

You can skip reading the next part if you didn't click play in the above youtube-little-screen because what will follow will just be a time-filler until the song is done and I can send you forward to the next song I want you to hear. The band started out as a friend-garage project without Sandra (the singer) under the name Röstfrei. Sandra was a German Rapper in the band Saprize and when Röstfrei began looking for a singer they found eachother in their needs and started the Guano Apes. Guano = the excrement of seals, birds and bats... They kinda started a new genre they named Crossover, a mix of hardrock/punk/rap/girlsinger..

I love the song "pretty in scarlet" and I have no clue why :) But you might also so here it is:

In my opinion she has a nice voice and her songs alternate between soft and quite hard with nice diversion of rythm and music/instrument use.

I advise to start with the album proud like a god if you are going to check them out. Also their best off is a great second choice... It's called planet of the apes.

To end this review here's big in japan:

These 3 songs should give you quite the inlook on the guano apes and their music :) and I hope I have triggered your good taste and have given you reason to check them out. They are quite "special" :D
Oh and sorry if you already knew them because I tend to write all my threads as if I'm the only fan around here :lmao:

(ps: none of the vids are the originals. These custom vids tend to stay online longer then the originals)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The official Guano Apes thread.

I heard of them but really never took a close listen and it's really good man!!

Open Your Eyes is a cool tune and I like the tone of his voice during " proud like a god don't pretend to be blind"

Checking out the other two now!! Thanks for the turn on!!

:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I checked out the other two and they are cool as well but I really like the first one.

You and Soot have alot of cool turn on posts. Trying to get some type of list together to add a few more interesting items to the collection...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

OB turned me on to the Guano Apes about 8 months ago, and I really like them.

Break the Line

Innocent Greed

If you are just getting into Guano Apes the compilation is a good place to start:

Guano_Apes_Planet_Of_The_Apes_Cover.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I recognized this band, OB told me about them months ago, I do have the CD in his OP, but I haven't listened to more than a couple of songs.

I'll play it sometime this week and catch up.:rock:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

frontkf0.jpg

The 2nd album release of 2000. This album has a bit heavier sound than the debut.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online