The greatest album doesn't include their best track

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I think the best Yes album is Close to the Edge, but my favourite track is Roundabout which is on Fragile.

Can you think of any artists/bands where your favourite track is not on the best album?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most people deem Highway to Hell Ac/dc best album. My favourite song of theirs is What's Next To The Moon from the under rated Powerage album.

Most bands my favourite song is on an album other then a 'best' album. My favourite albums are more often then not the more under rated or lesser known material.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Machine Head and In Rock are like the best Deep Purple albums, but they don't have Perfect Strangers, which is my favourite track.

Also as much as I love Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself and is my top spot album, sometimes I have to go to other albums for Lady In Black and Easy Livin' (can't decide which one of them is the best).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll have to finish drinking my coffee before Attempting to come up with an example for this topic.;)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I would guess that Zep IV is the most popular album going by sales but my favourite track is "Since I've Been Loving You" off of the third and my favourite album is the debut. On a personal level.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I think the best Yes album is Close to the Edge, but my favourite track is Roundabout which is on Fragile.

Can you think of any artists/bands where your favourite track is not on the best album?

Far too numerous to mention...dozens, if not scores, or even hundreds, in fact this sort of thing would literally drive me insane trying to think of examples, but here's just a few -

Fave Van Morrison song - Into the Mystic .... fave Van album - Astral Week
Springsteen - track, Jungleland...album - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Dylan - track, Ballad of Hollis Brown....album - Blood on the Tracks
Zeppelin - track, When the Levee Breaks....album, Physical Graffiti
Stones - track, It's Only Rock n Roll...album, Exile on Main Street
Genesis - track, Ripples....album, Then There Were Three

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Abbey Road is the Beatlle's best album, but my favourite track is The Long and Winding Road from the Let It Be album. By this, (I think) I mean the version recorded on 26th January 1969, produced by Phil Spector, engineered by Pete Bown and scored/ orchestrated by Richard Hewson. I do not like the later Naked mix without strings. The story of the song, inspired by the late Ian MacDonald's book Revolution in the Head (a track-by-track analysis), can be found on Wikipedia here: The Long and Winding Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Zep's "best" album has always been up for debate IMO. Some prefer the hard--hitting II while others love IV because it has so many iconic hits. My favorite song of theirs is Over the Hills and Far Away and Houses of the Holy is far from their "best" but I love it all the same. Second up is Ramble On and we know which album that one is from.

Sox, Since I've Been Loving You is a prime example of how underestimated III is. Some really great stuff on that one, including Immigrant Song which I think a lot of listeners would say is their favorite Zep song. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Personally I like Zeppelin's debut the most but yeah, people usually do call their second and fourth albums the best.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
On the subject of Led Zeppelin, my preferred album is Houses of the Holy, but When the Levee Breaks (from IV) is my favourite song.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online