The Grammys

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, it's award season! Oscars,Golden Globes,Grammys! Sadly, I can almost bet Mariah Carey will win. Personally I think U2 should get the nod.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060107/music_nm/grammys_song_dc

Thoughts? Any suggestions you would make to best song? Any suggestions you have for the Grammys? Yea, I know, it's all about popularity. Still, it's fun to talk about sometimes. ;)

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
it's a great grammy year for classic rockers in general.

paul mccartney... neil young... the stones... robert plant... even my munchy lad joe perry is up.

i'm quite impressed.

i hafta admit... it's hard for me to vote against how to dismantle an atomic bomb, tho. i luvv that album so. maybe i'll call it a toss-up.

kath
let's hope these folk get more than just nominations.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I have no choice but to root for U2's How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. It was just a great album.

lifeoriley

Reaction score
kath said:
it's a great grammy year for classic rockers in general.

paul mccartney... neil young... the stones... robert plant... even my munchy lad joe perry is up.

i'm quite impressed.

i hafta admit... it's hard for me to vote against how to dismantle an atomic bomb, tho. i luvv that album so. maybe i'll call it a toss-up.

kath
let's hope these folk get more than just nominations.

Im so burnt out on awards that l don't know what is for what anymore. Since its a great year for classic rockers l should pay more attention.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, who watched? I had to work so all I know is U2 won 5 awards including Song and Album of the year. Recaps anyone? Best/worst performance? Come on, let's weigh in folks.

JackInBox

Reaction score
It sucked. Its what the music industry wants; U2, Mariah Carrey.

So safe, so mainstream. I find U2 just an average good band.
They are getting old, and boring.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
U2 an "average good band"..."getting old, and boring"? At 48 years old, I find myself not inclined to view a band like U2 as "old and boring", so maybe it's just my age. Anyway, I think a lot of people consider U2 still capable of passionate and exciting music. I certainly do.

The Grammys are a farce, but at least in my opinion, they gave top honors to a deserving band who have worked hard and who stand for something very positive.

Peace,
The Rev

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
I usually watch the Grammys for the car accident syndrome. I can't look away.

Knowing Paul was going to perform gave me more incentive. I taped all his performances. "Helter Skelter" was great and the highlight of the evening for me. His duet with Jay-Z on "Yesterday" was very, very odd. Not sure how I feel about it.

Sly Stone did not look well at all. I wasn't surprised that it was his first public appearance in 13 years. I have a feeling he was not supposed to leave the stage in the middle of the song.

I kinda dug the opening with Madonna performing with Gorillaz. I actually think her new album is pretty decent and I like that song as well, so I enjoyed the performance with the dancers.

Mariah Carey sounded poor to me (well, poorer than usual, I should say). She croaked her way through the first verse of her song and sounded out of breath.

Unfortunately, the tape I was using ran out during the great finale by Allan Toussaint, Elvis Costello and Sam Moore.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online