The Grammys

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, I haven't wanted to watch the Grammys in years. I think the final straw came when Jethro Tull was nominated for and won for Heavy Metal album. :rolleyes: That just proved the Grammy people don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I mean they actually beat out genuine heavy metal acts like Metallica I believe. Talk about lame.

In any case, that having been said. It's nice to see legitimate artists win for a change. U2 deserves all the recognition they deserve. Whether you like their music or not, they have proven for the last couple of decades that they are a force to be reckoned with and are still relevant today. After all these years they are still putting out top quality music and don't show any signs of slowing down. I hope the Bono bashers choke on that. [That wasn't aimed at anyone here by the way. So far people here who don't like him don't seem to be rabidly spitting out ignorant criticisms.] LOL

I did manage to catch the closing act and was glad to see rock generally still rules. I am so sick of hip hop and Kanye West. He's just one of those artists I just don't get. Seeing Bono praise him was like seeing Michael Stipe and company talk about the genius of Prince a few years back at another Grammy Awards show - another artist I don't get but people I do get and do admire and like seem to hold him in high esteem.

Oh well, times they are a changing as it were. However, rock still endures and that made me very happy. I was a bit disappointed to hear Paul McCartney didn't win anything though. Oh well, there's always next year or the year after. :)

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
I seem to have a selective form of ADD that kicks in when an awards show comes on. I find it hard to pay attention and just wander away to read a book or something.

Spike

BILLKILL

Banned
Reaction score
JackInBox said:
It sucked. Its what the music industry wants; U2, Mariah Carrey.

So safe, so mainstream. I find U2 just an average good band.
They are getting old, and boring.

I agree. They sure had a bunch of oldtimers. Old stuff like U2 just ain't my bag!

BILLKILL

Banned
Reaction score
Well I just read the thread. I hope I did not hurt any ones feelings. It is just that IMO U2 have not been relevant since about when I was born. Most the kids I know feel the same. It is the music of their parents, not them at all. But hey I can't argue with that one persons funny statement. "U2 deserves all the recognition they deserve." lmao.

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
JackInBox said:
I agree, ridiculous, but Jethru Tull gave incredible live concerts. At least back in the 1970's.
Yes but they're hardly considered heavy metal by anyone who knows anything about rock music.

BILLKILL

Banned
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
If U2 is such old stuff, then why is it that young bands like Coldplay can't find anything better to do than lift their old riffs?

Hi Rev, I don't know if you are talking to me. But I will take a shot at answering you question. BTW I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. My opinion about music is not an attack on you as a person.

Now bands have ripped off other bands forever. Led Zeppelin ripped of the great blues men, Sound Garden ripped off Zeppelin and Sabbath, and so on and so on. They rip off OLD music and try to add something new to update it so it will be relevant to the times they play in. So you make the point yourself that U2 is so old that the are ripe for ripoffs.

I agree that Coldplay takes from U2. But they take from the U2 of a generation ago. Even you admit they "lift their OLD riffs." And when they take too much from from U2 or mimic their current sound it might be a big part of why no one I know takes them seriously. So the fact that you think Coldplay has nothing new to offer does not make U2 a fresh, dynamic, band with something to say to todays youth. It just means Coldplay leaves you, well, cold. They just are a pompous, poser, POP band in the eyes of most the younger people I know at school--a "chick band" at best.

Look I don't hate U2. They were something fresh back in the day. War and Joshua Tree were solid for my fathers generation. But those days are long gone. Even The Who sang "I hope I die before I get old." Every generation has its own take and I was just stating what my friends all say and yes I think the same.

And don't forget, I did agree with Music Wench's hilarious line "U2 deserves all the recognition they deserve." Now that is funny.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online