The Glam Skanks!

rtbuck

Reaction score
About a month ago my wife & I went out to see our friends band Governess play a show at a small club called the Mohawk in downtown Buffalo. Governess is a fun band to see... playing original music in the vein of Motorhead meets the Ramones meets Turbo Negro meets Johnny Thunders. On this night they were opening for a band from Hollywood, CA called the Glam Skanks! The Glam Skanks?!!? I had no idea what to expect...all I know is I said to my wife that we'll stay for a few songs & see how they are. We had seen these young girls who were barely 5 feet tall walking around the club. Sure enough they were the Glam Skanks. These 4 young girls hit the stage & we had no idea what we were watching but we couldn't take our eyes off the stage! The first 2 tunes almost sounded a bit too teeny bopperish for this 54 year old guy & his wife but then I have no idea what hit us but it did! Singer Ali Cat announced that the next song was a Love song & the song had a Shangri La's/Ronnettes 60's girl group sound & vibe. Then the chorus kicked in with a chorus that had the whole crowd joining in singing "F&%k Off!!". It was wild as hell as was the rest of the show which we stayed for & enjoyed. I could not believe the influences I could see in this band...T Rex, Bowie, Alice Cooper, Queen, Sweet, NY Dolls, Iggy, & of course the Runaways. I was really blown away by the guitarist Veronica Volume. I had bought a cd and actually the whole band signed it.

I really couldn't understand how these 4 young girls(they really barely looked 20) were so heavy influenced by these Glam bands so when I got home I did some digging on Google & found out the guitarist is the daughter of Bruce Witkin who is a musician & producer who worked with the Hollywood Vampires, Adam Ant, Marilyn Manson,LA Guns...etc.(check out his credentials on wiki). The Glam Skanks Opened for Alice Cooper & have toured this year as opening act for Adam Ant. My wife & I love the cd & I even bought a download of their first release. They also covered a song called "The Hockey Song" for the Kevin Smith movie "Yoga Hosers"

Glam Skanks are:
Ali Cat - vocals
Veronica Volume - Guitars
Millie - Bass
Cassie - Drums

Their first EP is titled "The Glam Skanks" has a pretty raw sound especially on Rock & Roll Skank & Miss Androgenous. They do a great cover of Nick Gilder's glam hit from 1976 "Roxy Roller" & they do a fantastic cover of Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love".

Their latest release Glitter City is more polished than the first EP but it's still got that raw sound...The album is full of great tunes such as "Bad Bitch", "Glitter City", "Karma", "F@%k Off" & "Radio Blues"(which was really wild seen played live)...Overall the Glam Skanks are an entertaining band & a lot of fun to see live

Starchild

Little Dreamer
Reaction score
I cannot take this band seriously, not with that name and the way they dress. They just seem like a joke to me.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I cannot take this band seriously, not with that name and the way they dress. They just seem like a joke to me.

They were very entertaining and a fun band to see but then again I tend to like bands that dress different and sometimes aren't taken serious by some like Kiss, New York Dolls, Very early Alice Cooper, Sensational Alex Harvey & then there are bands like the Dead Milkmen & Dread Zeppelin whom are hilarious & entertaining

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score

Yeah? What would you recommend us? Shaw Blades? Laughable at best. Don't know how you could call them a 'supergroup', hmph. How can I take you seriously?

Good stuff, @rtbuck. I love bands who gag like this but at the same time perform and execute well. Some of the members are kinda cute too..

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online