Register to remove these ads

The "Genrefication" of Music is a curse!

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Old Dude, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

@Old Dude Finding music I like is one thing I have never had trouble with. Thanks to google, YouTube, music forums, and lastFm (which is a great place to search "similar artists".........notice the search is for similar artists not by genre)

I currently have more music than I will ever need. I also have plenty of new music, more than I can give an honest review on.

Porch Monkey and Riff Raff like this.
  2. Old Dude

Old Dude I do not suffer fools gladly.

Well, as long as you have all you want, then I guess it doesn't matter if other people don't have the same level of commitment you do, does it? I mean, if more casual listeners, the kind of people who don't sign up for music discussion forums like this one, don't get exposed to more really good music, so what? Why should anyone care if there are hundreds of excellent artists that almost no one will ever hear or even hear of? You've got what you want, so no one else matters, do they?

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

I enjoy doing the same but I do like to also search by sub-genre also because it helps me find bands for that specific sound I'm in the mood for. I do things my way and not how anyone tells me I'm supposed to do it.

Old Dude, nowhere did she even say no one else matters, just that she searches music that particular way. If people don't want to be exposed to music that's their prerogative and they can choose to listen to the choices they have. No one is forced or should be forced to do anything.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Magic and Porch Monkey like this.
  4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

The only subgenres that are stupid and don't actually exist are things like Viking Metal. Viking Metal is NOT a style of musical sound it is a theme. However things like black, death, thrash metal are necessary and ones that people with the research can easily tell which is which.

5. Porch Monkey

Porch Monkey Senior Member

This is ridiculous. If these "casual listeners" aren't being exposed to certain music, they're not likely to care anyway. If they did, they would be more like us, and seek the music they want. "Casual listeners" wouldn't be listeners at all, if they weren't happy with what they are fed. And I absolutely don't care about what they get to hear. I get to hear what I want because I actively search for it. And I find it too, it's not rocket science. Others can do this too, if they're so inclined. The choice is there.

If something that is more 'niche' cannot make as big a success as the commercial radio crap...well, hang on, it's more niche. This means that less people will like it and buy it. That's not a conspiracy by the "suits". That's the trend. And if the suits decide to jump on a bandwagon of a new, maybe even 'underground' trend, then more people will get to hear it. By which time, the trend-following listener is likely to have found something else anyway.

And those who find music important (get this - not everyone does ;)), will, as Magic and Riff Raff have suggested, pay little attention to confusing sub-genre titles, and find music that they like despite "the man". "Suits" don't decide what music makes it big. Listeners do. Suits only capitalise on that for business purposes. They don't lead musical trends.

One more thing: who you consider to be "excellent artists", and who others might consider to be excellent artists, could well be two different things. Are you suggesting that YOU be the person to say what is good and what is not? A tad presumptuous, wouldn't you say?

Sorry, lastly :) : How do you even know there are hundreds of excellent artists out there not being heard, if you don't get to hear them? :confused:

Riff Raff and Magic like this.
  6. Old Dude

Old Dude I do not suffer fools gladly.

Excellence is in the ear of the listener. If I hear an artist or a song and think it's excellent, then to me it is excellent. If you don't find it so, it isn't so to you. But people hear the songs I have on my MP3 player in my car that they've never heard before, by artists they've never heard of, and their reaction is, "Wow, that sounds great! Who is that?", that leads me to believe that there is a lot of music out there that listeners would like if only the suits didn't restrict how much music is available.

I do get to hear them. I am one of the few people who cares about music so much that he'll participate in an online discussion forum about music. More importantly, I look at this situation from the perspective of a musician, not an audience member. I have attempted to explain this so that those who are only music consumers can understand how this situation that hurts artists hurts audience members just as much. Apparently, audience members are too short-sighted to be able to see this from an artist's perspective.

7. Porch Monkey

Oh God, not another one of those! :rolleyes: lol

8. Porch Monkey

Is this because the music was assigned some obscure sub-genre label, or because they couldn't be bothered to look for it? I mean, you found it.

We have already made the distinction between the "casual listener" and those, like us on this forum, who take music more seriously. The latter seem to have no problems finding what they like.

Anyway, that is the way many people do discover music - word of mouth from friends. They hear a song, get told the artist, the album perhaps, and they go out and buy it. Tbh, I can't recall anyone asking me, "what genre do I look under?"

9. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Honestly, I don't lose any sleep over anyone else and their music choices or lack of.

However, if someone asks me how to find music besides what is played on the radio, I will tell them how........I'm nice that way! ;)

Riff Raff likes this.
  10. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Agreed.

You cannot have the perspective of a musician who is selling their art unless you have walked in their shoes. You can only speculate and assume your perspective is correct.

To assume you are correct and to make such a broad statement that audience members are short sighted is not only mean but arrogant.

First off, you have never proven that genre assignments hurt musicians.

Secondly, you have never proven the "suits" assign the genres or have control of the genre assignments.....as in "who gets what genre assigned to them"

Riff Raff and Porch Monkey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.