1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Genrefication" of Music is a curse!

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Old Dude, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Dude

Old Dude I do not suffer fools gladly.

I seldom watch talking head videos, on general principles. It's a personal quirk of mine. My willingness to listen to an audio recording is in inverse proportion to the length. 9:45 is more time than I'm willing to spend listening, especially to people who tend to speak in a boring monotone. But I do not condemn or sneer at those who will listen to such recordings.

I would make an exception for this Talking Heads video.

2. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

I'm sorry but I can't think of any other example that more highlights the ridiculousness of this categorization.
    I mean what a shameful example of climbing on a band wagon than Steve Tyler's country efforts.
    I love Aerosmith and Stever Tyler but that was absolutely disgusting IMO.
    I wouldn't have thought that he could sink any lower than his American Idol thing.
    I was wrong.

3. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

@BikerDude

It was just an example.

I'm a HUGE Aerosmith fan and I think he has done the unthinkable. I don't think even country fans have much appreciation for his country efforts.

However, it was his choice not the choice of the "suits".

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

Tbh I am one of the few who enjoyed Tyler's country sounding stuff.

SanguineRemedy and Magic like this.
  5. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

It's not that I dislike it, but when I see Tyler, I expect something different. He tried to keep some of his rock vocal style in his country effort and it just sounds awkward to me.

He does look awesome in a cowboy hat, though ;)

Riff Raff and SanguineRemedy like this.
  6. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Bloody bliss!

Tyler's country crossover wasn't even that bad. It's not something I'd listen to regularly but the guy clearly has versatility.

Riff Raff and Magic like this.
  7. Old Dude

You totally miss the point on the role and the power of the executives who run the music industry, aka "the suits". The suits have near total control over up and coming artists. They control the money and access to all the resources. Over time, a tiny handful of artists gain enough clout or money to have a small level of independence. When an artists makes a label millions of dollars, sometimes the suits will allow him to engage in a personal vanity project. They'll let him use the label's resources to dabble in a little personal project, like the Tyler's project. Like it or not, any one listener's personal opinion of the results is irrelevant. The point is that the occasional instance when the suits will throw an artist a bone to keep them happy and working doesn't prove that the suits don't run the industry. Likewise, the fact that sometimes an artist will accumulate enough personal wealth that he can fund his own little vanity projects also doesn't prove that the suits don't rule the roost. Paul McCartney used much of his own money to fund "Give My Regards to Broad Street".

8. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

I think you may have some misunderstanding, too.

I'm going to pretend I'm the suits. #1. I've got unlimited money. #2. I've got state of the art studios and equipment to make any music sound awesome. #3. I've got extensive advertising connections. #4. I've got open access to the biggest venues around the world. #5. I have all the tools you will ever need in the music business. #6. I have a corporation of people / lawyers looking out for MY interests........and to make sure my investments (artists) are successful.

Let's pretend you are the new and upcoming artist. #1. You probably have little to no money. #2. You have equipment that was given to you for Christmas and no clue how to record music, except on your computer. #3. You have no idea how to get people to buy or even hear your music, except to play in bars or upload to YouTube. #4. You probably don't even have a proper contract agreement with your band because you couldn't afford a lawyer.

Now here is where the magic begins. For some reason, let's call it happenstance, one of my A & R guys heard you and your band and saw potential. The FIRST thing that A&R guy is going to do is protect the suits he works for but he is also going to wave the "dream" of success to you and your band. You are excited! You sign on the dotted line. And you hire a manager to manage all the good musical things coming your way.....at NO COST OR RISK TO YOU.

This is a good thing. Now you have everything to become famous. You make about 15-20% of all revenues taken in....

The person who took the biggest chance of loss was the suits. The person who spent all the money was suits. Of course the suits want the most, from money to control.

However........if you began as a pop artist the suits are not going to force you to be a country artist. The suits will develop your talent, whatever that genre is.

End of story.

Speed King and Riff Raff like this.
  9. Old Dude

Right away, you're off on the wrong track. The suits have limited money. They have access to great studios, but those studios and the skilled artist/craftsmen who run the studios are really, really expensive. Their advertising connections are extensive, but they're also expensive, and often the people doing the creative work for ads are themselves clueless. They compete for access to the biggest venues in the world with other suits from other companies. They do have access to the tools, but don't necessarily know how to use them. And the corporation they work for is full of other suits who are just as cut-throat in competing within the companies as the suits from other companies are. Basically, the suits are working in a dog-eat-dog world, struggling to either succeed, or at least to not fail so badly that they get fired. So, most of them make all of their decisions defensively. They're more concerned with not failing than they are with really succeeding. That's why if any sort of performer or act shows any sign of success, they'll jump on the bandwagon with cloned acts. And that means that the suits WILL force the up-and-coming artists into whatever niche they think will succeed. Sometimes the suits are right, like when Brian Epstein got the Beatles out of their leather and into classy suits. More often they're wrong, but few people know the bands that were ruined by suits forcing them into the wrong pigeonhole.

10. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Really?

UMG, the largest music label, has net worth of about 22 Billion. its owned by a French fellow who is beyond wealthy.

I think you need to do a bit more research. Research into modern day music industry.

Riff Raff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.