The Fortunes (Official Thread)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I always liked Storm in a Teacup (1972). Wiki says it was written by Lynsey de Paul and Ron Roker. I didn't know that! Although a professional songwriter, Lynsey's face was her fortune (pardon the pun and call me sexist if you want) and had a fascinating life.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Your right Big Ears Lyndsey De Paul was a incredible song writing talent and very beautiful too !
By chance I also got to meet ex FORTUNES singer/musician Glen Dale again . He had some fascinating stories to tell me. I was full of respect for this 60s musician who had , toured with THE BEATLES and had numerous "hits" around the world to his c.v
Glen DID make some solo records.... a few fine covers to THE BEATLES "Good day sunshine" and" Eight days a week".
He was also offered the song " Somethings got a hold of my heart " which was written by famous songwriting duo Cook/Greenaway. His version was recorded but never released.....ironically it was then offered to GENE PITNEY who had great success with this song reaching no 5[UK] in 1967 and no 1 in a duet with Marc Almond [Soft Cell ] years later in 1989

Last edited:

electriced

Reaction score
Your not the only one Groovy man to be surprised THE FORTUNES covered "Seasons in the sun " before Terry Jacks. I was too. I looked up on wikipedia....the song originated in 1961 from "le moribond" by Jaques Brel.Several bands have covered it since....but Terry Jacks version in the early 70s is probably best remembered. He made it a real tearjerker. :wa.I remember my sister having a copy of the single....a real big seller on bell records.
The Beach Boys, Westlife and.....Nirvana have also covered the song.....but I do really like THE FORTUNES version [great harmonies...]

Current line up....

Ed Mooney vocals [ ex The Dakotas ]
Bob Jackson [ ex Badfinger ]
Glen Taylor drums [ ex Marmalade ]
Mike Smitham

..........this thread inspired by me meeting ex THE FORTUNES member Glen Dale :grinthumb....[ I Paved his driveway at work ].....its not everyday you meet a 60s pop star !!!!!! This guy has toured with the Beatles :bow:[who he said were great friendly guys by the way].....I could have talked to Glen for hours...but haha no work would have been done.
Hi,many thanks for your videos of the fortunes,brought back many memories of the group
,you mentioned Glen Dale whom I met in Tenerife,he was performing at our local bar,we returned to England and kept in contact with him and his wife Ellie.At the time he was living in Sheffield at Bramley park.Unfortunately over the years we lost contact with Glen and it would be much appreciated if you have any details if Glen is still performing or if I could contact him somehow.Kind regards Eddie Jones

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Glen still resides in the Sheffield/Chesterfield area Eddie...I have messaged him about you. I know Glen hasn't performed for years....his son plays the club circuit, occasionally singing a few numbers by THE FORTUNES.His father is a great guy...:grinthumb It is a real pleasure to have met him

Maria THE FORTUNES

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Two more singles by Glen Dale I have managed to track down on you tube

Ive got something too /Ive got you on my mind

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka