The Fortunes (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE FORTUNES........are a harmony beat group formed in Birmingham U.k. They came to prominence and International acclaim when their 5th single with the prestigeous record label Decca "Youve got your troubles " broke into the U.S and UK top tens .It reached no 1 in Canada
Other singles charted with big hits "Here it comes again" and "Here comes that rainy day feeling again".They also had later success in the early 70s with songs "Storm in a teacup " and " freedom come freedom go"

The Fortunes Website

THE FORTUNES Classic line up

Rod Allen .......vocals /bass [ died 2008]
Glen Dale......guitar [ up to 1966 ]
Shel Macrae ....co lead vocals/guitarist [ from 1966 ]
Barry Pritchard.....guitar [ died 1999]
Andy Brown....drums
Dave Carr.....keyboards

Albums:

The Fortunes (Decca LK 4736) 1965
Seasons In The Sun (United Artists UA S-5021) 1969
That Same Old Feeling (World Pacific WPS 21904) 1969
It's The Real Thing (Coca Cola Publishing) 1969

THE FORTUNES were also famous for the song "Caroline" which was used as the signature tune for the Pirate Radio station Radio Caroline. They are still performing and entertaining today.....with a different line up. Any fans here on CRF ??

Attachments

• The-Fortunes-The-Fortunes-351396.jpg
    The-Fortunes-The-Fortunes-351396.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 74
  • the_fortunes.jpg
    the_fortunes.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: The Fortunes

I never knew The Fortunes originally recorded ''Seasons In The Sun''. Learn something new everyday. :grinthumb

I really like ''You've Got Your Trouble (I've Got Mine)'' and ''Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again'' - I've got both songs burned on a homemade CD in my collection. Groovy little pop tunes!

:cheers2

Last edited by a moderator:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Your not the only one Groovy man to be surprised THE FORTUNES covered "Seasons in the sun " before Terry Jacks. I was too. I looked up on wikipedia....the song originated in 1961 from "le moribond" by Jaques Brel.Several bands have covered it since....but Terry Jacks version in the early 70s is probably best remembered. He made it a real tearjerker. :wa.I remember my sister having a copy of the single....a real big seller on bell records.
The Beach Boys, Westlife and.....Nirvana have also covered the song.....but I do really like THE FORTUNES version [great harmonies...]

Current line up....

Ed Mooney vocals [ ex The Dakotas ]
Bob Jackson [ ex Badfinger ]
Glen Taylor drums [ ex Marmalade ]
Mike Smitham

..........this thread inspired by me meeting ex THE FORTUNES member Glen Dale :grinthumb....[ I Paved his driveway at work ].....its not everyday you meet a 60s pop star !!!!!! This guy has toured with the Beatles :bow:[who he said were great friendly guys by the way].....I could have talked to Glen for hours...but haha no work would have been done.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I do know that Glen Dale [ real name Richard Garforth] left THE FORTUNES to go solo in 1966........but I cant find any trace of his solo records on you-tube/wiki ....so I am asking any 60s expert out there for help:huh:

Other info about THE FORTUNES that I found out that manager Reg Calvert was shot dead in a dispute over Pirate radio stations in 1966 :uh:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

I love these guys/they are ALL over my favorite genre :)

I have tons of British Invasion tapes/cd's etc...and The Fortunes were on all of them !

I love the harmonies and the chunky old bass sound ..so 60's ! And I never knew Seasons was their song ..I've heard it by them but it's like alot of songs from 60's EVERYBODY did some lol

Great thread Lou . Let me check out some videos here and I'll post some more..

PS I'm so jealous you met Glen Dale..I love that COOL !
I once met the dudes in Fairport Convention who were touring our area..I was a hotess at the hotel my sister worked for/just one weekend so she could have it off..and they were staying there ! I was the ONLY person who knew who they were lol..Fun tho :D

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I must admit Astrid my knowledge of some 60s bands I could write on the back of a postage stamp.:uh: Of course when I met Glen Dale and he revealed his musical past with THE FORTUNES.....I was like..".yes Ive heard of them...they were pretty famous" etc. Glen then showed me a cd of the songs they had done...... A few impressive tracks like "you got your troubles" which I then recognised etc and then it was wow!! Im not worthy....lol :bow:
Heres an early track from THE FORTUNES showing off their great harmony vocals :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Some more impressive tunes by 60s favorites THE FORTUNES .

THE FORTUNES were famous for their covers of songs by different artists. I like this one which was done by Doris Day and later Kathy Kirkby [ sadly recently died R.I.P] so as a bit of a tribute have uploaded it. One cover that sadly missed the mark was a weak cover version to THE MOVEs "Fire brigade :uh:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Hey LOU I remember you telling me when you met one of the singers, I bet he was good to talk too, toured with the Beatles, bet that was good.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Heres footage of the more recent line up keeping up the name and tradition of 60s greats THE FORTUNES. Still doing the rounds on the gig circuit.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online