Register to remove these ads

The European championship 2014-16

Discussion in 'Sports of all sorts' started by LOU/REALM, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LOU/REALM

LOU/REALM Senior Member

Its been a busy week in the European Championship . First of all congrats to the British teams who have qualified. England have been impressive...no major stars , but decent results home and away cant be faulted.No defeats. Later they will play friendlies against tougher opposition Spain and Germany ....it will be a good test.
    Congrats Wales ! Unbelievable! Gareth Bale is pure class. Also Northern Ireland have surprised everyone and qualified from their group.
    Poor old Scotland miss the party.
    Republic of Ireland make the play offs.
    Holland were beaten by Czech republic and wont be going to the finals.What has gone wrong ?Top players like Depay,Van Persie etc at their disposal and their form has been erratic all tournament.
    Oh and a big surprise Albania and Iceland have qualified......

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

A championship without Holland .. Lou .. Who are we going to cheer for when England get knocked out ... :omg:

3. LOU/REALM

LOU/REALM Senior Member

Well I would have cheered the Scots but despite some fair football played Poland and Lewandowski edged them. Any player that can score 5 goals in 9 minutes against class opposition in the Bundesliga has got to be noted !
    Iam sad about the Dutch ,when on form they can be breathtaking.....but alas my orange Holland scarf has to remain in the draw.
    There is always the British teams to cheer Sox and the underdogs like Iceland

4. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

^^^ Yeah I would like to see any of the home nations do well Lou. The Dutch masters of old were always my choice when England couldn't qualify in the 70's. I like Sweden as well .. Zlatan is pure class .. hope they can make it through, I think they have to play off ????

5. LOU/REALM

LOU/REALM Senior Member

The draw for the EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP has been made...

Group A France / Romania / Albania / Switzerland

Group B England / Russia / Wales / Slovakia

Group C Germany / Ukraine / Poland / N Ireland

Group D Spain / Czech Rep / Turkey /Croatia

Group E Belgium / Italy / Rep of Ireland /Sweden

Group F Portugal /Iceland /Austria /Hungary

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. Hydrazoic Acid

Hydrazoic Acid Cynic

Damn! England, Wales and Slovakia. Very hard group for Russian team.

7. LOU/REALM

LOU/REALM Senior Member

Most of them are tricky groups. France and Portugal have got it easy ....but I expect some surprises. Spain have got a hard group and it could be any team in group E...Italy are very unpredictable
    @ Hydra Russia should get through with England....but the underdogs Wales and Slovakia will obviously up their game !

8. Hydrazoic Acid

Hydrazoic Acid Cynic

You know, I'm not sure, that Russia will go out from that group...

9. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

Some very interesting groups! I certainly hope some of the "small" teams will cause a few upsets, making the tournament even more interesting. Since Denmark is not in it, I guess I'll be cheering for England, Sweden and erm, Ireland and Iceland. :D

10. Jonny Come Lately

Jonny Come Lately The New Kid In Town

I don't mind that we've got Wales in our group, it should be an interesting match and if anything the pressure on Wales will be greater than for England where it's just another tournament match (we have played Scotland and Ireland in tournaments in relatively recent history), rather than one of their first big tournament games in a long, long time. It's not the easiest group (Group A doesn't look too challenging for France, I have to say - England beat Switzerland home and away in qualifying, and the other two don't look like anything special) but I think we should still qualify.

The toughest group to me seems to be Group E - the highly talented Belgian side is in the same group as Italy, who usually expect to do well and Sweden who have a reasonably solid team and a real star in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I really can't see Ireland qualifying from that group, shame because I quite like them, but unlike Wales they don't have any real class players (they don't have anyone as good as Ashley Williams IMO, let alone the excellent Ramsey and world class Bale) and I think their collection of hard-working journeyman from the lower reaches of the Premier League and the Championship will struggle, unfortunately.