The Enid (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The Enid are a British rock band founded in 1975 by Robert John Godfrey, Stephen Stewart and Francis Lickerish. Another early member was William Gilmour, who subsequently founded his own band Craft and now plays keyboards in Lickerish's band Secret Green.

The Enid began recording at about the same time as punk rock burst upon the scene. Godfrey has said that he always regarded The Enid's ironic takes on classical music as being just as anarchic as anything by the Sex Pistols, but this did not translate into either musical or commercial recognition, despite their work being played frequently by Tommy Vance on BBC Radio One's Friday Rock Show. In 1981, the band played most of the music for Kim Wilde's self-titled debut album. After some unpleasant experiences with major record labels, which initially welcomed the band with open arms and then dumped them after failing to promote their records, the band relied on self-publishing and promotion, which was helped by the fact that their settlement with one of the labels included some recording equipment. The band used this equipment to establish The Lodge Recording Studio, hiring its facilities to other bands in between their own projects.

Robert John Godfrey has said that he does not regard The Enid as a progressive rock band and would rather not be associated with the term, but that has not stopped prog rock fanzines and websites from promoting the band. He has also been quite scathing in his criticism of "neo-progressive" bands like Marillion and Pendragon, accusing them of lacking charm, talent and originality. However, this has not prevented the band from taking advantage of publicity in prog rock websites and magazines.

In the 2001 the band formed a marketing agreement with Inner Sanctum which saw most of the band's back-catalogue being reissued on that label. However, in 2009 they announced that Inner Sanctum was illegally attempting to take control of the band's name and copyrights. As a result of the ensuing legal action the Journey's End album was released on the band's own Enidiworks/Operation Seraphim label.

The band are still touring and I saw them last year in Sheffield, I was amazed at how good they were being as though I had waited years to see them and now I will be seeing them again in August at the Cambridge Rock festival.

Here is a taster of what they have done and I hope they will continue to do for some time.

The Loved Ones

Stonehenge 1984

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Enid

They sound interesting Sweaty...never heard a peep about them before reading your OP. I love Prog/rock myself in all it's bombast and excess...that is what attracted me to it in the first place. I'll sniff around and see if I can find one of their albums to check out.

Bryter Later

Reaction score

:grinthumb Great, an Enid Thread :grinthumb. My first memory of hearing the Enid was as a fifth former doing my homework and listening to the late,great Tommy Vance on The Friday Rock Show. He played the full version of 'Fand',and I immediately thought wt! was that,it was amazing,......but I missed the name of the band,so it took me a few years to track it down ( no internet/you tube etc then :bonk:). But I now own nearly everything they have done,and as to 'Fand' well,it still has the same effect all these years later. Recommended listening? I would recommend Aerie Faire Nonsense or Live at Hammersmith. :cheers2 Bryter.

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score

I saw them at the Reading rock festival in the late seventies [I think].
I was all happy on cider lying in the field and this band just got into my head, and took me on a journey all those years ago. :)

joe

Reaction score

I must admit I have never heard of them. Considering myself a huge prog/rock fan, this one flew under the radar. Further investigating on this band will be a priority. Thanx Sweaty:grinthumb

Bryter Later

Reaction score

Being a big Prog fan I really think that you will enjoy The Enid,especially the albums : In the Region of the Summer Stars,Aerie Faire Nonsense and both Live at Hammersmith cds :grinthumb. Please let us know if you like them :grinthumb. :cheers2, Bryter.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

THE ENID in good form , cant say Ive any of their albums but have been curious about them because of my good friend Sweaty raving on about them :)

......and Mr Godfrey was once in Barclay James Harvest ?? ..never knew that

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Well the Enid are playing a prog fest in Sheffield next March and as it is next door I will be going to see them on the Saturday night:0 Here is a few more tunes for you to smile about and please buy their first album, remastered and a true classic...

Something wicked this way comes

The Dambusters march - I was there classic

Witch Hunt

Heaven's Gate

In the region of the summer stars

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Also there is a great CD / DVD available from the Stonehenge concert in 1984, not sure of the quality but I will be buying it:)

th?id=I.4697058583249915&pid=15.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online