The end of Gene Simmons "Family Jewels"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Reality TV viewers won’t have Kiss frontman Gene Simmons to kick around anymore.

After seven seasons — leaving it with a longer run than ‘I Love Lucy’ or ‘The Honeymooners’ — ‘Gene Simmons Family Jewels’ has received its pink slip from the A&E Network. While the show never drew huge numbers, it was a genuine ratings phenomenon for the cable network, which has seen its profile rise considerably in recent years, largely thanks to the notoriety that tends to come with pointing a camera at Gene Simmons.

“For seven great seasons, Gene, Shannon, Nick and Sophie have been part of the A&E family, and we could not be more proud of the unparalleled run of ‘Gene Simmons Family Jewels,’” the network said in a statement originally issued exclusively to the Hollywood Reporter. “On behalf of everyone at A&E, we’d like to thank the production team at Thinkfactory Media, Gene and his amazing family for their partnership, collaboration and for opening up their lives, warts-and-all, to us throughout the years.”

According to Simmons, the decision to end the show stemmed from the ever-popular “scheduling conflicts.” In their own statement, the Simmons family responded, “With Kiss on tour and with my other business commitments, we have decided to draw the final curtain on our show … This is not the end of our story, it’s the beginning of a new chapter.”

Gene-Simmon.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
:bounce:

Never watched a Single episode, but I wonder if Gene will escape the curse of all couples when it comes to reality shows....it's astronomical when it comes to how many have divorced after watching themselves in their marriages on television.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I have only seen maybe 10 episodes of the show. What I have seen, I have liked, but my overall distaste for anything "reality" has kept me from viewing them all. I do have the show on my Netflix queue and at some point, will probably go through it all because I am a fan of the man.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Ironic Gene standing in the middle of the Salt and pepper highway throwing up the horns.. Gene to me is the lord or knighted rock star of my generation.
Nobody's perfect but Gene proved what any other politician or any over over the top media flavor of the week could do with some exposure..
Milk it and leave a wake behind you that nobody else is capable of..
They come and go.. Gene proved his abilities and laid it out for everyone to see.
Try inviting camera's into your life.. and let the world see all your flaws and imperfections.
Scripted and full of fiction.. I still hold Gene's show.. just like Ozzy's show.. In High and entertaining regards.. It was about two greats in the Rock world who gave everyone a peek for the money..
I think there will be a come back..

copyright.gif

This post is copy write protected..

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Seen a few shows and I liked it. I never thought it was over the top but didn't seem to contrived Simmons is really relaxed on camera and was just himself. His reunions with his family, his mom and his father that he never interacted with was touching. Oh and his kids seem to be normal and well adjusted...none of that crazy, wild lifestyle that derails their maturity.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Ironic Gene standing in the middle of the Salt and pepper highway throwing up the horns.. Gene to me is the lord or knighted rock star of my generation.
Nobody's perfect but Gene proved what any other politician or any over over the top media flavor of the week could do with some exposure..
Milk it and leave a wake behind you that nobody else is capable of..
They come and go.. Gene proved his abilities and laid it out for everyone to see.
Try inviting camera's into your life.. and let the world see all your flaws and imperfections.
Scripted and full of fiction.. I still hold Gene's show.. just like Ozzy's show.. In High and entertaining regards.. It was about two greats in the Rock world who gave everyone a peek for the money..
I think there will be a come back..

copyright.gif

This post is copy write protected..

:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My approach to all these shows is the same...I think about what else I could do with that one hour of time, and when you pass 50 then you make the most of what time you do have.

I would rather listen to a classic KISS album in the time it takes to watch his show.

I have always respected Gene as a businessman, a survivor and a straight shooter which I like even if I disagree with him when he spouts off utter rubbish.

Like 70's G I hope his family stays together and moves on to more important things.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Never did catch this one, but I'll admit some of these reality shows are funny and have some entertainment value. Ozzy's show was hilarious at times, and those dating shows Bret Michaels did a few years ago... "wow" is all I can say. :heheh:

Reaction score
Well that is sad news! :wa "Family Jewels" was one of my favorite reality shows, mainly because I liked to see what Nick Simmons was up to ;) But I feel like ever since their wedding episode it has become a really dead, boring show with the same story line pretty much for every episode- Gene is with a girl, Shannon get's jealous. Then Gene promises he will fix it. Same old, same old. I feel as if rockers' shows are always flops- "Family Jewels" has been on for what seems like forever compared to other shows like Bret Michaels and Dee Sniders' reality shows (wtf were those shows about!?) Oh well, I will miss it, but hey, I have the seasons on DVD! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online