The Electric Prunes (1967)
Underground (1967)
Mass In F Minor (1968)
Release of An Oath (1968)
Just Good Old Rock and Roll (1969)
Artifact (2002)
California (2004)
Feedback (2006)

The Electric Prunes are an American rock band who first achieved international attention as an experimental psychedelic group in the late 1960s, and contributed two tracks to the soundtrack of Easy Rider. After a period in which they had little control over their music, they disappeared for thirty years, reforming as a recording and touring band in 2001.

Origin

The group started in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, though during the group's long disbandment, rumors circulated that they were from Seattle. Their first hit was discovered by Seattle disk jockey Pat O'Day at KJR (AM) and was very popular in that city before it broke into the national charts. The founding members, Ken Williams (guitar), James Lowe (lead vocal, autoharp), Michael Weakley and eventually Joe Dooley (drums) and Mark Tulin (bass) called themselves The Sanctions, and later, Jim and the Lords. Soon, Dick Hargrave joined on organ, leaving shortly afterwards to pursue graphic arts. Their lineup changed many times, including one lineup with Kenny Loggins.

Lowe, Tulin, Williams and Weakley were introduced to David Hassinger, then resident engineer at RCA studios, who arranged for them to record some demos at Leon Russell's home recording facility (which he called Sky Hill Studios). Hassinger also suggested they needed a new name. In response, the band produced a long list of suggestions, with The Electric Prunes last as a joke.

A single Ain't It Hard/Little Olive was released from these sessions, and flopped.

Early success

The Prunes' next single, "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)" (1966), was chosen from material Hassinger culled from the established songwriting team of Annette Tucker and Nancie Mantz. It remains their highest charting success, reaching 11 in the USA and 49 in the UK. Personnel included Jim Lowe on vocals, James "Weasel" Spagnola and Ken Williams on guitar, Mark Tulin on bass and Preston Ritter on drums. This is regarded by many as the classic Prunes lineup.

Their third single, Get Me to the World on Time, was also successful but less so, peaking at 27 in the USA and 42 in the UK. Both their first album, The Electric Prunes: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night) (1967) and consisting mainly of Tucker/Mantz material, and the followup Underground (1967) which featured mainly original Prunes material, charted in the lower reaches of the Billboard charts.

By the time Underground was complete, there had been several more personnel changes. Original drummer Weakley returned to replace Ritter, and Spagnola was replaced on guitar by Mike Gannon, who appears on only two songs. Their fourth single Everybody Knows You're Not In Love, was recorded by this line-up, but does not appear on this album,

Lifted from Wikipedia ... ^^^

The Electric Prunes website ....

1df96be984b95b9d00acf8d848a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: The Electric Prunes Appreciation Thread

I'm a huge fan. They were fabulous garage rockers! Check out this cool video of their mega hit single:

I love the echo! It still ranks high on my list of the top forty tracks of all-time.

:guitar:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Their first album may still be their best:

105a9330dca0cece9a1b3010.L.jpg

:rock:

Last edited:

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

Enjoyed the info on the Electric Prunes. They must have had an unusual sense of humor to come up with that name.:heheh:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

THE ELECTRIC PRUNES "i had too much to dream last night" remains one of favourite tracks from the sixties....its a classic!!!

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I love the Electric Prunes, mostly the first two albums, ''The Electric Prunes'' and ''Underground'' (with the bonus tracks). Classic psychedelic band.

You Never Had It Better

I

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Reaction score

I used to listen a noon hour late 60's/early 70's rock program titled "Electric Lunch" dedicated to the psychedelic era on a Seattle rock station. This was during the mid 80's when I was becoming disenfranchised with most of the music of the present day when I was 17, 18, and 19.

"I Had Too Much To Dream(Last Night) was one of the songs that really captured my imagination and started my 'trip' through the psychedelic/garage/punk genres from 1966-1970.

Another great tune, "Get Me To The World On Time":

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online