The Dresden Dolls - Yes Virginia (2006)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Here's a review I wrote a few years back:

The_Dresden_Dolls_-_Yes%2C_Virginia....jpg

Dresden Dolls – Yes,Virginia

A couple of years ago I was lying awake in bed one night & turned on the TV.I was watching the Jimmy Kimmel show & he introduced his musical guests, the Dresden Dolls. I was amazed & blown away by their performance on the show. Amanda Palmer, complete with whiteface, garters, & black & white striped stockings insanely hammered away on her keyboard while spewing out her twisted lyrics. Drummer Brian Vigilione complete with whiteface & a derby (reminiscent of “A Clockwork Orange”) pounded out the rhythm that would rival any metal band. The performance gave an intense punk/cabaret feel. Their self titled first release was phenomenal as was their “Live at the Paradise” DVD in which they play an unbelievable remake of Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs”. This brings us to their latest release “Yes,Virginia” which is more of the Punk/ Cabaret sound & feel that is this dynamic duo’s own style. The CD kicks off with “Sex Changes” which is intense both musically & lyrically as Amanda sings “…You get your choice of aesthetic, we’ll need to chop your clock off(tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock),it might not be what you expected, there is no money back once you get ripped off…”. “Back Stabber” is up next & is probably the strongest track on the CD. Other outstanding tracks on the CD are “My Alcoholic Friends” in which Amanda counts back the number of steps to get back on the wagon of the weekend, “Delilah” is where Palmer challenges with her lyrics as she sings “…And you thought you could change the world by opening your legs…”, “Dirty Business” tells the story of the kind of girl who leaves condoms on her bedroom dresser to make you jealous of all the men she ****ed before, “Mandy Goes to Med School” in which she addresses “…Put away those pliers honey cause I know the options, how about a nine month long vacation & a 2 foot coffin…”& “Sing” which is the first single off the album is also phenomenal both lyrically & musically. Overall, I actually feel “Yes,Virginia” is a bit better than their first
Self titled CD & give it a solid 5 scars!

Bucky

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: The Dresden Dolls - 'Yes Virginia'

I love this album. It's a top 100 album for me (as is their debut and Amanda's solo debut). You already hit on favorite songs from this album (also the best) with "Sing", "Sex Changes", "Backstabber", and "My Alcoholic Friends" but in addition to those some other faves would be "Modern Moonlight" and "First Orgasm" (which has the hilarious verse of "There are some school kids, Yelling and running, They barely notice, That I am cumming" :oyea:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online